bought a fluval 205...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vromanowski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
for my 36 bowfront. It comes with 2 carbon bags for 1 level, biological media for the 2nd level, and more bio media for the 3rd level.

Do you ever need to replace the bio media? I mean does it break down over time or anything? I am guessing there are 2 levels of it for that specific reason, so that you only have to replace one at a time?

Nope, you might want to buy some more bio media so you can fill all three trays. My fluvals have two layers of the octagonal or hexagonal ceramic rings, and two layers of the round ones. The octagonal or hexagonal are considered pre-filters for some reason, not sure. Just rinse out your sponges once every two weeks, swish the trays around in the same bucket, you're good to go. Nothing to replace at all

are you treating the tank with meds? if so, then yes, you'll need to put the carbon in after done treating. if not, then there's no reason to run carbon anyways

no meds, just some ferts for plants. So i don't need carbon at all eh? so i could just use that level for more ceramic rings?

most planted people say not to run the carbon since it removes things in the water for the plants. i am still not 100% sure on that one but i dont run carbon unless i am using it for something like clearing meds. carbon is only active a week or two before it needs to be replaced. personally since you have a planted tank i would go with more sponges. plants act as a natural bio media in my tanks i fill my filters up mostly with floss and sponges to keep the water clean and let the plants tank care of the rest. bacteria will still grow on sponges and floss just less area for them to colonize.

I run fluvals. I just put in the ceramic pre-filter noodles then the biomax in the baskets. When the flow slows, I just rinse out the sponges and wash the media baskets in a bucket of tank water. Fluval also has a polishing sponge if that takes your fancy. I don't use it, I use pillow stuffing to filter out fine particles.

Back
Top Bottom