brackish vs salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
does anyone have any idea which is harder to maintain? i am toying with the idea of completely redoing my son's 55 gal to a brackish system. he wants a fiddler crab every time we go to the LFS, but I know keeping them in FW will eventually kill them.

I'm not sure what your question is, but IMO both saltwater and brackish are challenging and you will need to put some thought into how much time and money you want to spend.

is brackish harder or easier to maintain than salt. maybe i should post in SW forum

IMO saltwater seems easier than brackish. It is hard to setup and choose the fish but once it is all said and done and everything is stable all you need to do is change the water, clean out your filter (or skimmer) and that's it.

I can't see brackish being any easier or harder than an equivalent fw or sw setup. There's really nothing extra you have to do other than get the salinity right. It's going to be far easier than a high tech planted or reef setup.

How is that any different than any other aquarium whether it's fresh, salt, or in-between.

Good point. It just seems easier, I am not very good with brackish or sw because you need to get specific salinity or gravity. Brackish just seems harder to me cuz you have to get it not too salty but not freshwater either.

I dont keep SW but I can tell you keeping my BW tank is no tougher than FW, and the only additional equipment I needed to purchase was a marine salt and a hydrometer. :)

since you wouldnt keep corals etc in brackish,you wouldnt have to check for certain stuff like you do in sw,and in nature brackish creatures are used to pretty dramatic swings in gravity.it would be like keeping an fw tank. also,the livestock is cheaper

Sorry, it's just me and my judgin skills. :)

that;s why i ask everyone's opinion! i only have FW but i have an idea for a brackish half land half water tank. if only i can get my 3 year old to go with it! it's his tank after all. and yes he has to help mommy with it and likes to, so he does get some say. (y)

does anyone have any estimate on how much marine salt would cost for a BW 55gal?

that;s why i ask everyone's opinion! i only have FW but i have an idea for a brackish half land half water tank. if only i can get my 3 year old to go with it! it's his tank after all. and yes he has to help mommy with it and likes to, so he does get some say. (y)

does anyone have any estimate on how much marine salt would cost for a BW 55gal?
not much,i got a bag that was enough to make 5 sw gallons for 6 bucks, and im in canada where tank stuff is more expensive. you would want to buy a larger bag than that though,so buying in bulk would save you more.

I couldn't say. I have a 7lb box for my 14 gal and it seems like it's going to last forever.

Good point on livestock being cheaper. I keep bumblebee gobies with my fiddlers and I think they were like $2.99 ea. Same as the crabs. Definitely cheaper to stock.

Sometimes it depends on the fish. I personally have never had a brackish tank but my friend has a set up for his grunting toadfish and it's basically the same as freshwater as far as maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom