Massive Violet Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tasialue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, all!

I have a 55 gallon brackish tank that I've kept for about 4 years now. We conditioned it for about 3 months, then brought home a teeny little 4 inch violet goby clinging to life from the local chain pet store.

y4m7YbgkRpUwdlbSUDu0GuDw8FRE5TDjnYs4oc6UXvYFBFV1NFO8lrPMwCppSwK5rZT4O_WnSkussFwsNACDxnncF2mWIpVoXUD_xzVmbsyGCtD9JmLF_cGu5OZdz6uC1IL-oWJsv2WU8A1MTk7_KcoF3_uoRCoheElNfQ5c8Hu7lomiBdSwEoGRlFGqWXMuLbB

Since then, Malfoy has grown. Oh my, how Malfoy has grown.

y4m-lxS0vY5RCt9hH9FYjnelVzZmkiLGERXx1W0dk_xIR9gsYramnrjSJ9tDgqwWmivTr3LKEfcxaYZlXYzRY1377ti--4MzbcwP0h8R09aBH1e8U-3N9pD4TP_QXeJSSNip1uIvtSGZAVnieU42bCS555_W4CenUcjG4JlBOEmHYfjSyFz0TC7va2HkOmNnpvK

We're a bit gobsmacked. Everything I've seen online says these are "seldom" going to reach more than 15 inches in captivity, and in the wild "they canreach 24 inches." This big guy's well over that at around 32 inches. His tank needs cleaning weekly, as it gets this gunky that fast. He's WAY too big for this space, but I can't fit anything larger in my home, and how on earth would someone transport such a massive fish to a larger tank or another home? It was all we could do to move him from a 30 gallon tank to this one when he was barely a foot long; how does someone move a fish like this for miles?

I have a few questions for everyone:

1. Does anyone know approximately how long this guy might live? He's outlasted every other fish I've ever had, and he doesn't seem to show any illness, although he's crabby when we change his water all the time.

2. He developed a sunken-in spot on the top of his head about two years ago, but as alarming as it appears, he's still trucking along. Any idea if it was hole-in-the-head, or if this is a common appearance for this fish?

3. Are there any places where I can officially tally this fella as a whopper?

4. Would there be any interest in Malfoy for study purposes after he passes? It seems a waste for such a specimen to just hang on my wall in plasticine when someone could get some research out of him. Would I contact my local aquarium, or should I aim for universities? I should think it would be easier to ship him after he's passed.

I don't mean to sound morbid; I love the guy, but I know this isn't the healthiest environment for him, and I'd like some info to help me make my decisions about what's next for Malfoy.

I appreciate your time, and thank you for such a lovely community!

Back
Top Bottom