Brackish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me the test I need to test the salt and what is the salt level suppose to be in brackish water? Does anyone know anything about a g. Tile moray eel?

Well to test the "specific gravity" or salinity of the water you need a hydrometer. And brackish fish can live anywhere from 1.004-1.018.

And the biggest thing with the eel is make sure you have a lid. Also he will try and eat other fish. They get about 18-24 inches long

Refractometer.

Salt level for brackish water can be in the low 1.003 or high 1.018. Salt level depends on the fish you have.

I don't know anything about the tile moray eel. Why don't you do a quick google search and tell me about them. Do they need salt?

Thanks y'all. I have done alot research on him that's why he is doing good, right now that's why I wanna get the test kits for his tank. He is suppose to live 10+ yrs and I want those to be healthy happy yrs. I know he eats other fish I had three mollies in the tank with him and he ate one like a week or so ago. That's why they are in there, he was getting bored with the cocktail shrimp he needs the chase so he will be proud and keep tieing in knots and rolling around to kill his food. I love watching him eat it's so awesome! I just needed to know what test I needed to test the salt level. Thank y'all again!

Oh yeah lol I keep reading he needs a lid but his tank has never had lid and I have had no problems with him trying to get out. The next tank I get for him will diff have lid though. The way my luck is going it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to get out. Both my cichlids died yesterday :( I was so sad. That why I want to know the kits I need. I don't want anymore of my fish to die!

Alright cool thanks. Easier is better lol, I had a hard time reading the tests at first lol it's easy to figure out though for sure. Directions are life savers lol. :)

Refractometers are better just much more expensive and IMO aren't necessary for brackish.

Refractometers are better just much more expensive and IMO aren't necessary for brackish.

Would your reply mean that

1) a hydrometer is fine for BW because they are cheaper than a refractometer

or

2) You don't need to monitor your SG for BW.

If your reply means #2, you are incorrect.

You do need to keep track of your SG with each water change. Too much salt added can kill the fish. Under salting can be easily forgiven by the fish, over-salting can not.

I never said that it wasn't important I've kept brackish for years and I've never had a problem and I use a hydrometer. THAT is what I was saying

I'm getting a refractometer for the tank. I have just been adding one teaspoon once every two weeks. It is keeping his color great and he is eating, that is why I haven't changed how I am doing the salt until I get test, so I know for sure if something needs to be added.

I never said that it wasn't important I've kept brackish for years and I've never had a problem and I use a hydrometer. THAT is what I was saying

Thanks,

I wanted the clarification of what you were saying. I didn't want a noob to BW getting the wrong idea. So many start out on the wrong foot.

I myself have been running BW for a few years and use a hydrometer.

Okay cool so u have a brackish tank too. Are there any pretty unique colorful fish/ eels I can put with my g. Tile moray eel? Anything will help he is getting a way bigger tank and I wanna put other fish in tank too. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom