Brand new- need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pso408

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just want to start off by mentioning that I am completely new to the hobby. I admit that I was ignorant and made a mistake but I would never purposefully harm or mis-care for any animal. I just never knew how much went into having an aquarium. Again, I feel very ignorant and feel awful. I just went on to this website for a quick browse and started realizing what was truly required to have a healthy tank.

Here's the problem:
I bought a 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater, air pump, and some food. Great- add water, run the filter for 24 hours, add fish, and boom...you've got yourself a beautiful tank, right? Apparently not.

So I waited until the water was the right temp. (automatic heater) and went out and bought 4 red eyed tetras and 3 Cory's and added them to the tank.

I've been feeding them the recommended foods twice daily and everything has appeared to be going well. The fish are active and beautiful and they appear happy.

Well I started reading this forum and learning about cycling, bacteria, ph, nitrite/nitrates, ammonia, etc..

If I could go back and follow appropriate measures by cycling the tank and everything before adding the fish I would.

But now I have these fish who have been living in this tank for a week and have no idea what to do. Should i I take them back so they don't get sick? Is it too late and now theyre going to suffer?

Once again, I know I'm ignorant. I did te wrong thing. But now that I know better I REALLY want to do whatever I have to do to keep these fish healthy and make my tank the perfect environment. It's been a week and they still appear healthy and happy. the water appears completely clear.

What do I do? I'm willing to buy any product or do whatever needs to be done.

Thank you

Pso408 said:
I just want to start off by mentioning that I am completely new to the hobby. I admit that I was ignorant and made a mistake but I would never purposefully harm or mis-care for any animal. I just never knew how much went into having an aquarium. Again, I feel very ignorant and feel awful. I just went on to this website for a quick browse and started realizing what was truly required to have a healthy tank.

Here's the problem:
I bought a 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater, air pump, and some food. Great- add water, run the filter for 24 hours, add fish, and boom...you've got yourself a beautiful tank, right? Apparently not.

So I waited until the water was the right temp. (automatic heater) and went out and bought 4 red eyed tetras and 3 Cory's and added them to the tank.

I've been feeding them the recommended foods twice daily and everything has appeared to be going well. The fish are active and beautiful and they appear happy.

Well I started reading this forum and learning about cycling, bacteria, ph, nitrite/nitrates, ammonia, etc..

If I could go back and follow appropriate measures by cycling the tank and everything before adding the fish I would.

But now I have these fish who have been living in this tank for a week and have no idea what to do. Should i I take them back so they don't get sick? Is it too late and now theyre going to suffer?

Once again, I know I'm ignorant. I did te wrong thing. But now that I know better I REALLY want to do whatever I have to do to keep these fish healthy and make my tank the perfect environment. It's been a week and they still appear healthy and happy. the water appears completely clear.

What do I do? I'm willing to buy any product or do whatever needs to be done.

Thank you

Go out and get a API master freshwater kit so we can help you with your cycle
You will need to do a lot of water changes
Also, those fish need schools of six each and a 20 gallon tank but do not add to the schools yet

Don't worry, many have done the same. I just went through it about 5 months ago with my first ten gallon... I'm sure someone will post the link but there is one in the stickies section about fish in cycling if you want to keep your fish. I think the corys might need a larger tank with more like 5+ instead but I'm sure someone else will comment on that. Are you treating your water before you put it in the tank? I use a product called PRIME, you'll also want to pick up a liquid master test kit by API to test your water throughout the cycle. You'll be doing partial water changes daily to keep the toxin levels safe for the fish. So I'd say, do a 50% water change as soon as possible, go out and jet your test kit and some PRIME, read up on fish in cycling, keep posting questions on here and you should be good! :) I know exactly what your going through as I just did the same! Good luck and can't wait to here back!

Ok I will certainly go out and buy a test kit today and post results.

The more I read, I am finding that maybe a 20 gallon tank would be much more appropriate and even possibly easier to keep clean?

Should I get a 20 gallon tank? If so, how should I transfer everything?

Thanks for your help and not judging me!

Pso408 said:
Ok I will certainly go out and buy a test kit today and post results.

The more I read, I am finding that maybe a 20 gallon tank would be much more appropriate and even possibly easier to keep clean?

Should I get a 20 gallon tank? If so, how should I transfer everything?

Thanks for your help and not judging me!

Yes bigger is better
Be sure to get an appropriate filter and heater
To switch over-
1. Turn everything in tank off
2. Remove filter media, decorations, and gravel and put in a bucket filled with TANK water
3. Remove fish and place in a bucket with tank water
4. Remove filter, heater, and airpump
5. Install whichever of the above equipment you are keeping
6. Install new equipment
7. Add gravel to new tank
8. Add decorations
9. Fill all the way with leftover tank water then dechlorinated tap water
10. Start filter(s), heater(s), air pump, etc.
11. Add filter media to filter(s)
12. Net out and add fish
Keep tank lights off to reduce stress for 24 hours. Do not feed for 24 hours. Test water daily or twice daily for a week and if ammonia or nitrite rises do a 50% water change to get them back down to 0. Do 20% water changes every other day for the first four days.

Ya you didnt do anything wrong you just gotta watch your water changes and testing. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all your help. Much appreciated.

I got a new 20 gallon today and followed your instructions on transferring everything. The fish seem really happy with it.

Here are the test results:

Nitrate- 20ppm
Nitrite- 1.0 ppm
Hardness- 75
Alkalinity- 80
Ph- 8.4

Pso408 said:
Thanks everyone for all your help. Much appreciated.

I got a new 20 gallon today and followed your instructions on transferring everything. The fish seem really happy with it.

Here are the test results:

Nitrate- 20ppm
Nitrite- 1.0 ppm
Hardness- 75
Alkalinity- 80
Ph- 8.4

All right we need to lower those nitrites. Do a series of 50% changes until nitrite is 0. Can you test ammonia? You should be able to with the API Master Liquid Kit.

I'm guessing the OP just has the test strips. The one set only does NitrIte, NitrAte, Ph, Alkalinity, Chlorine, Hardness.... You have to get a different set of strips for the ammonia.

The test strips really are a waste of money... They aren't as accurate, and if you go by the amount of tests you are getting for your money....

Typical test strip container, 25 count = around $25
Typical chemical kit, at the very least 100 tests per bottle = around $30

Ok here are the results from the API master kit:

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Also I bought some prime.

Sounds good, now the challenge is to keep ammonia at or bellow .25ppm... Then once Nitrites kick in you need to keep them bellow .25 also... Test daily, I even tested in the morning and at night... Just stay on top of it and do your water changes as needed to keep the water safe for your fish. Eventually you'll get through that cycle! :)

Back
Top Bottom