brand new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all! I recently bought a small 30 gal tank that was already esgablished with 14 various fish. I am totally new to the aquarium world. I've owned several betta in the past with varying success. I have spent the past 2 days studying up on how to care for this new adventure and am learning new things all the time.
When purchased the aquarium it came with 1 Bala shark, 1 rainbow shark, an angel fish, 3 black skirts, 2 Mollies, 1 plecostomus, a male betta, Buenos Aires tetra (I think) and 3 red glass barbs (I think) then a few little snails in the gravel. Saturday night I also bought a moss ball my daughter begged for, and some live plants. My son is hoping to buy some aquarium frogs in a few weeks to add. My kids and I have so enjoyed watching them and getting to know each one. They all seem healthy and happy at this point and hoping to keep them that way! Any tips or suggestions any of you have for me are more than welcome!

I would get rid of the Bala shark, the rainbow shark and the pleco at least. You have too many fish and these are inappropriate for that size tank.

Yes in my researching I am realizing how big those fish are going to get! The lady I bought them from lead me to believe they were all fully grown. she stated the last one was bought over a year ago but I am coming to believe that isn't true. I am hoping to be able to get a larger tank but am assuming that to accommodate the shark it will have to be 100+ gal

Hello! Welcome to AA! Congratulations on your new found hobby. It is a lot of fun. I must say you ended up with quite the combination of fish in a 30 gallon! I am curious how long the old owner had this set-up with these fish.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you may end up with a lot of trouble with this tank due to the uncompatability of the fish in it. May just be the reason that it was being sold??? I can only guess.
There are fin nippers in with slow moving long finned fish and semi-aggressive fish mixed with peaceful fish, which sometimes works depending on the specific species. There is also some shoaling species that need to be in a shoal of at least 6 specimens of the same species to avoid stress as well as some "big guys" in a too small tank wich can lead to health problems. When pet fish needs are not met, they can easily become stressed. Stress leads to diseases and parasite breakouts. Which in turn leads to stressed owners which can discourage a person from wanting to continue with the fish. Trust me! I am talking from experience. I too got a 30 gallon tank from someone that had fish not compatable with eachother as well as their needs not being met.

I am not sure how long you have had this tank for, but if you would like advice about the species you have in it and where to go from here, please don't hesitate to ask. Many of us would gladly help you!

Yes in my researching I am realizing how big those fish are going to get! The lady I bought them from lead me to believe they were all fully grown. she stated the last one was bought over a year ago but I am coming to believe that isn't true. I am hoping to be able to get a larger tank but am assuming that to accommodate the shark it will have to be 100+ gal

It is possible the Bala shark has been stunted. Poor baby. Hopefully if you re-home it, he/she will be able to grow out and be with it's own kind.
My Mom had a bala shark for 7 years that lived in a tank with neon tetras. It never grew over 4" and never ate the tiny fish. But poor thing. What a horrible life. It never had the enjoyment of it's own kind and it didn't get to swim...I mean SWIM. She kept it in a 20 gallon all those years.

She didn't know any better. That was back in the 80's and she didn't have access to google or anyone knowledgable.

They seem to be relatively accustomed to each other. I have stood and watched them for hours and they dont seem to be aggressive. Except for the rainbow shark when others get too close to the hideout he has made in a 'titanic' decoration. I have wondered though if the peacefulness so far is because they are stressed from the move..?
The original owner told me she was selling it because she was moving. which when I was there it looked that way...boxes everywhere! She said that she had the black skirts for years. I cant remember what she said the last one was she bought, but it was about a year ago. She seemed knowledgeable... but then to me at this point anyone seems knowledgeable lol.

Back
Top Bottom