Breeding Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have a male and female Betta and a spare tank. I would like to breed them but before I do that I have a few questions.
How do I do this?
How do I feed the fry without having to buy brine shrimp?
Can it work in a non filtered tank?
Do I remove the parents after the eggs are laid?

I don't breed bettas but I know it is a very big project to undertake. I 'm sure others that do breed them can fill you in more. I know you need a lot of tanks/jars....a lot!:eek:

phishfriend said:
I don't breed bettas but I know it is a very big project to undertake. I 'm sure others that do breed them can fill you in more. I know you need a lot of tanks/jars....a lot!:eek:

I don't either but I do know you are on the right track.
You'll need lots and lots of jars, a growout tank or two, tanks for breeders, breeding tanks, and a tank for females unless you jar them. At least I think that's it. You probably don't need that much.

I just posted something to this effect in another thread. I will just paste it in:
Here is the link to the source of my assumption that your fish was perhaps not an ideal candidate for breeding: UltimateBettas
Search for the sticky: "Before you breed your pet-store betta" in the "First time breeding & spawn logs" forum

I am not sure what the rules are for re-posting info on this forum so mods please let me know if I should link to this otherwise, but here is the specific passage, attributed to "elise" on UB.com

Most, if not all of us, got our first betta from a pet store. They are beautiful fish and have great personalities... why not breed him/her? In fact, there are many reasons why this is often not a good idea. Here are some things to consider before you breed your fish.
  • Many bettas sold in pet stores (usually just the males, but sometimes the females too) are either past or at their breeding prime. After the age of about one year, the risk of deformities and/or weak fry increases. How long have you had the bettas you want to breed? If they were 6-12 months of age (like most males are in pet stores) when you first got them, how old are they now?
  • The genetic background of pet store bettas cannot be known (besides the obvious based on their appearance). Pet stores bettas come from mass-producers/suppliers (unless yours is an exceptional mom-and-pop place and gets fish from private breeders which is usually not the case) so they are not at all carefully bred. What if your bettas carry genes that result in many deformed fry? Are you prepared to deal with this?
  • One spawn can and often does result in hundreds of betta fry. Are you prepared to raise that many babies to adulthood? Do you have live food, a big enough growout tank, and enough jars if at least half of them are male?
  • Pet store fish (namely veiltails and crowntails) are not, by any means, in great demand. Many pet stores' shelves are filled with bettas rotting in their little cups because they get more in than people buy. People are usually not willing to pay to have pet store fish shipped to them, so you will need to find homes locally. Selling to pet stores is not recommended because this is just contributing to the "betta-in-a-cup" industry that we all know and hate. Do you know enough people to give your fry to? Or do you live near a good pet store to give them to? Do you trust this pet store with your babies, and are you willing to chance what kind of homes they end up in?
There are many places to get a good quality pair for breeding. Look in the classifieds here on UB, and on aquabid.com. If you do not have the means of getting a pair from a breeder, I suggest that you hold off on breeding bettas until you can... it will be worth it! :)

Here is a message to the OP Vanimal: I am not against you breeding your fish, just offering the information I found on a very useful website. (I love this forum I'm not a traitor!!)

So I don't mean to be rude in any way, and if you do choose to breed, the First-time breeders forum I linked to is absolutely awesome for tips and DIY projects.

emerald76 said:
I don't either but I do know you are on the right track.
You'll need lots and lots of jars, a growout tank or two, tanks for breeders, breeding tanks, and a tank for females unless you jar them. At least I think that's it. You probably don't need that much.

Ok I have 2 spare tanks for 2 males I want to keep and a 10 gallon for females? How many could I put in it? The rest I will give to my LFS and for free on craiglist.

Breeding bettas is a lot more difficult than breeding platies or even many cichlids, at least from a logistical setup. Many breeders use 'betta barracks' to house all of the fry.

I haven't owned them that long. One for probably 2 weeks and the other a few days. And if I end up with too much fry I will give them to my Angel fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom