Breeding Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewsDyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank and want to breed some cherry shrimp. That would be all that's in the tank and was hoping they would breed in that. Any advice on feeding, temperature, ph, water changes or plants? That would be awesome! Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Water changes can be 10-25% a week. Plants can be Java Moss, Anacharis, pretty much any plant.. densely planted tanks with open places work well. Feed shrimp pellets and algae tabs. You can also feed blanched veggies. Temp can be 73 to 78

And is a 5 gallon tank ok?

I bought five cherry shrimp for my five gallon, and within a month, I had over thirty. They like java moss especially.

do they eat their young? do they breed in all water that wont kill them. like guppys.

I keep five types of neos, including cherries. Many people-including myself-lose some of the shrimp in the beginning. After they're settled I find them hardy and easy to care for.

Mine like mosses, cholla wood, and floating plants. I feed every other day. I bought all my shrimp online, and I like to start the colony from a few different sources.

A 5g is a great size for them.

how fast does a colony form? what other types of shrimp are there for a 5 gallon, and that are easy to care for and easy to breed

Hmm depending on how high quality your red crystal shrimp is, those do well in colonies.

It would probably take you a month for an active large colony to form.

They also really enjoy eating the fungus from the driftwood.

Don't forget to put a sponge over the filter intake, or else all your baby shrimp will be sucked up and you won't have many babies anymore. But a 5 gallon sounds fine to me.

Nils

Some are genetically more susceptible to pathogens. This is typically due to inbreeding which happens more often when you don't buy from a source that regulates the gene pool by adding individuals who are genetically different in order to mix in 'new blood'.

The mortality rate of the RCS I got from the LFS was pretty high (66%). I had much more success with RCS from other AA members. Not sure if this had to do with handling and transport. It may have something to do with the maturation of my tank. Deaths with ones from the LFS occurred after molting.

so where should i get them how long would it take to start a colony from 5 shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom