$$ breeding CRS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm at work and doing what I always do, browse this app and the Internet about aquarium fish/plants/inverts and came across an article about how easy and profitable it is to breed CRS and it got me thinking.

Is it really that easy to breed them? I know you need the to follow basic care principles and make sure water params are good but it made it sound as easy as 1) buy 10 CRS 2) let them make babies 3) pick out the good ones

Next
Are they really that profitable?? If they are why doesn't everyone do it? I've now read about the different grades and know you're not going to get SSS no-entry sign shrimp every time but is it really possible to take grade a CRS and within a few short months be pumping out enough shrimp to bring in what some would call a sizable income? Which brings me back to my original question... Why isn't everyone doing this??!

What am I missing here?

Good question ... believe it or not ... I'm thinking the same things since I'm looking to start 20gal RCS ... eventually a few CRS so them breeding has to be in the equation.

NO! it not as easy as it sounds ... if you don't know what your doing you'd have a disaster on your hands. I would be shocked if there haven't been people with no experience who tried the get rich quick scheme breeding expensive dwarf shrimp.
RCS on the other hand are relatively prolific breeders and even a novice who's willing to do due diligence can breed a colony. CRS require .. from what I've read ... more exacting water parameters.

YES! it can be easier if you have the knowledge and experience along with the proper equipment. Note I said easier because successfully getting those S and above grades is where I would think the challenge is. But you can do it in your own home.

So, what level of profitability are you looking for? Some extra cash on the side? Then you mostly want to be profitable through quantity ... you'd want RCS. Only need one maybe two 10gal's tanks?

Profitable as in it's your major source of income .. well now your talking a breeder who's also selling fewer more expensive breeds at higher grades. Now your talking a more serious commitment to equipment and space to accommodate.

OOPS .. forgot to add to my previous rant ... If you really want to breed expensive shrimp
Look at Wine Red and Black King Kong shrimp.

Haha honestly I'd be happy to find something that covers the cost of the breeding! I'm not looking to get rich quick or even really care about the money. I was just looking into it anyway, I would really rather be on the easy side with RCS.

RCS will breed much more readily, and in just about any size tank or container. CRS are a little more tricky. They need softer water and a larger tank to successfully breed. They also need pristine water conditions.

Where as RCS are prolific breeders (my last colony went from 10 RCS to 100+ within 6-8 months in a 5 gallon tank), CRS breed much slower. I currently have a colony of about 30... I started with around 15-20 over 6 months ago.

Of course it is a numbers game with either species - the more you have, the faster they breed and multiply.

I'm looking to add 10 to 20 RCS to my fry tank. I figure they'll help clean up any uneaten food. If they multiply, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, any extras can be a tasty snack in my angel tank. :) So I hope they'll reproduce, but I'm not looking to make any money off of it.

I'm looking to add 10 to 20 RCS to my fry tank. I figure they'll help clean up any uneaten food. If they multiply, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, any extras can be a tasty snack in my angel tank. :) So I hope they'll reproduce, but I'm not looking to make any money off of it.

I just added about 20 RCS to my 75gal ... Yep I'd say it's a bit of a gamble with a tank full of Barbs. For the last couple of nights I only saw 1 each night. Oh boy ... guess the other 20 were lunch.

But last night, I saw 4 - 5 ... so I'm more hopeful more are just hidden. I'm hopeful they'll somehow successfully breed ... as unlikely as surviving baby shrimp may seem. Now that I saw a few, I'll add more Java moss.

Haha honestly I'd be happy to find something that covers the cost of the breeding! I'm not looking to get rich quick or even really care about the money. I was just looking into it anyway, I would really rather be on the easy side with RCS.

Considering there have been those who just add RCS into their tanks to help clean up algae and then serve as food get surprised with baby RCS ... I'd say your chances of getting a breeding colony is good ... just make sure the water's in good shape. I suppose a sponge filter's also a good investment.

Sounds like fun! I'm really uninterested in the money side of it, was more of a side thought for me and like I said its my fry tank so I already have a sponge on my filter intake! All signs point to gettin more RCS and letting them do their thang hahah

Back
Top Bottom