Breeding Goodidae? - How to make them hmm - breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have Ameca Splendons - a couple of fishes. I know they are livebearers, but not sure if they require any special conditions to start spawing / breeding. They are together with smaller fish in a 45 G planted tank. There is an alternating light / air (when the light comes off the air turns on) and a power filter. Feeding bloodworms (freeze-dried) and/or flakes once per day.
Any links or advices are appreciated.

I have several of these guys and find them to breed rather easily, just like all livebearer's. I don't think anything special is required. Give them a bit of time and good water and I'm sure you will have fry soon.

i have Xenotoca eiseni and they tend to eat their fry, currently im growing out 10 fry that are now maybe less than 1/2" big, they are about month old. the female was removed from my 125gal mixed ca/sa community tank into a 20gal with a pregnant swordtail, if i would'nt of spotted the 1 baby swordtail i wouldnt of know that she had dropped. then 1 day i come home to find a feeding frenzy to baby red-tails, i managed to grab 10 out of who knows how many i had them in a mesh container inside the same tank, last week i transfered them into a 10 gal to grow out for a while. i feed crushed flake, crushed earthworm flake, frozen artemia, and small algea pellets. they seem to do good & graze off the sponge filter when not being feed

sorry, didnt even address main question, i have had these breed in both planted tanks and community tanks, nothing special as far as ph adjustments, good all regular chicago water for mine. i feed the community tank frozen brine shrimp every 2 days, frozen blood worms on different 2 days, and algea pellets and spirulina flake on fridays and weekends. also i feed frozen artemia infused with spirulina every 3rd day, i feed once on reg days and when i want to start getting things to breed i feed 2 maybe 3 times a day.. also clean water never hurts

sorry, didnt even address main question, i have had these breed in both planted tanks and community tanks, nothing special as far as ph adjustments, good all regular chicago water for mine. i feed the community tank frozen brine shrimp every 2 days, frozen blood worms on different 2 days, and algea pellets and spirulina flake on fridays and weekends. also i feed frozen artemia infused with spirulina every 3rd day, i feed once on reg days and when i want to start getting things to breed i feed 2 maybe 3 times a day.. also clean water never hurts
I suspected that the young might have end up being eaten. Then another dumb question. How do you know when your goodidae is pregnant and ready to give off?

i notice that on my female the belly will get kind of squared off, also gravid spot, much like a guppy, the fry are a lot bigger that guppy fry, if you have tons of floating plants they will stay in there and just venture out for food.. they say they wont eat their babies if feed well, but i thing they all eat pretty good and shouldnt be starving..

Back
Top Bottom