Breeding Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, my previous attempt at breeding these was interesting. They had the tank all to themselves, I'm guessing around 100 fry hatched. Unfortunately the fry started to disappear and then the male died. (I'm assuming that the male was eating the fry, so the female killed him). Eventually all the fry were gone and I was left with only the female.

She has had the tank to herself for a month or so now, and there is a bit of algae developing, so I put an Otocinclus in there.

Today I added a new male Kribensis and they are definitely getting along, so I am predicting babies again in the near future. I've heard that Kribensis will basically annihilate anything else in the tank to protect their young. Do you think the Oto will be ok? If not, what about a small Pleco?

What size tank and are there plenty of hiding areas or decorations that clearly create a "defined" boundary between "territorial areas"? This would impact whether or not you could put something else in the tank, but generally most cichlids do get more aggressive when they breed.

Depending on the size of the oto, and how big the tank is, the otto may not make it. Kribs don't like dottom dwellers.

It's a 10gallon, but there are some coconut caves and plants and decorations.

Ok, the female has a VERY pink belly and she keeps going in front of the male and showing him her side and bending her body into almost a U shape. These are all good signs as far as I know? One thing she also does that I don't remember her doing last time, is when she does these things, she will almost vibrate/shake/flutter.

Now since these aren't livebearers I'm just not sure what she keeps pestering the male to do? Is she just letting him know that there are eggs around for him to fertilize?

They will kill the otto. She is bascially saying" Hey big boy, come look at how colorful my stomach is, i have ALOT of eggs"

In a 10 Gallon with a pair of breeding kribs I would advise against putting anything else in there. Not enough room.

Back
Top Bottom