breeding perculas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christy1430

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best way to breed percula clown.

1 wild and 1 tank bred?
Any pair?
Or any other combinations that will let them breed?

Also has anyone ever heard of breeding blue tangs

christy1430 said:
What is the best way to breed percula clown.

1 wild and 1 tank bred?
Any pair?
Or any other combinations that will let them breed?

Also has anyone ever heard of breeding blue tangs
If your conditions are right they will breed on their own , Joyce Wilkerson has a good book out about breeding clowns. You will have to watch their behaviors and for them to lay eggs and remove the eggs to a nursery tank for them to grow when they lay eggs it usually is on a flat surface most breeders use a tile for them to spawn on and remove the tile leaving the eggs in your system will just feed your tank and the fry will be eaten by other fish as well as the filter system, power heads ect , They also eat rotifiers when young so you will need to set up a food system to have thier food source readily available to feed them . As for mixing I would not recommend mixing tank bred and wild caught .... go for the tank bred they are already use to the home system to a degree . :D

Sounds interesting and confusing. What are the chances of this hapening. I will prolly get 2 clowns for my 12 gallon nano. Hopefully they lay eggs were I can see and move them to a nursery tank ( what is considered a nursery tank) I really hope to see this in my own tank

Do you suggest buying the to perculas together or wud it not matter if bought seperatly

It took my clowns around 2 years to mature and form a breeding pair. They now lay eggs regularly (about..once every 2 weeks or so) but I don't bother removing them. They lay them on a piece of rock right next to the torch coral that they host. I let them go until they hatch, and let other things in the tank eat the larvae I guess. The following morning when they are gone, Mom and Dad are back picking the rock waiting for the next round.

If you are interested in a breeding pair, I would buy the two together, that way they can pair off together (if they will, they don't always pair up). The female will get much larger and agressive while the male stays small and passive. I would not expect breeding to happen in your first year of having the fish, especially if you get them when they are tiny. They need time to mature sexually and form a solid pair. When they do though, you might notice an increase in activity between the two fish. The female will get plumper in the belly. The male will start agressively cleaning a piece of rock or slate that you provide. Then one day there'll be eggs there.

If you get older fish together, it's possible to see breeding in under a year, but I wouldn't count on it.

HTH

there are a few threads on the ReefCentral Breeding Forum that you might want to read. the really good ones that i have read through are by a member named "mwp". his posts usually have the words "breeding log" in the title.

yeah, i know i'm suggesting RC, but they have a TON of real life info on breeding.

~mike

A friend of mine that works at my lfs breeds clownfish. I mean his girlfriend does lol. He has 90+ aquariums in his house. Breeds perculas, occelaris, orange skunk, tomatos, maroon, several others and a "snowflake" clownfish that is ~$450 a pair. He also breeds yellow watchman gobies lol.

I have a pair of Percs and the smaller male is constantly "sweeping" sand away from under a piece of dead coral. The large female is also chasing him around, and is getting plump. Is this breeding behavior?

ken_wied said:
I have a pair of Percs and the smaller male is constantly "sweeping" sand away from under a piece of dead coral. The large female is also chasing him around, and is getting plump. Is this breeding behavior?
It sure sounds it watch for the eggs to show up in a few days to a week

Back
Top Bottom