breeding pond snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a problem with pond snails in my 10 gal, so I got a yo yo loach. problem solved. now I am thinking that the yo yo might enjoy some more snails. I found about 6 in the filter of the 55 and threw them i a cup and brought them home. I filled a 1 gal "fish bowl" with used fish water from the 5 hex and dropped in a small piece of lettuce.

will the snails need filtration and or aeration? I was hoping to just let the bowl be, maybe add some plant clippings. I wouldnt mind a PWC, I can pour out water directly, but I'm not keen on getting another filter.

You don't need anything if you don't want it.

I toss my unsuable plant trimmings in a bucket with water, which I never empty (gross but true. I actually intended to collect them to feed to my snail colony, but I always forget). The snails that wound up in there accidentally are thriving. I also have an old 10g with nothing in it but about an inch of water and some dead leaves still in there that I broke down at the beginning of Dec. I still see snails moving around in there. Seriously, they can survive near-apocolyptic conditions. Of course, everything reproduces better in a healthy environment, so keep that in mind. They're also probably more nutritious that way. A little sponge filter probably wouldn't hurt. That's what I have in mine.

Back
Top Bottom