Breeding RCS Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay did you check out the link with picture?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ture47781.html
He is the one that is big and more to the right of the pic
IMO, that is beyond pale, I researched males were more clear-ish with red markings???????????????
When I got him that's how he came. It was only after he molted (maybe within 1-2 weeks) 1-2 times he changed to clear-ish BROWN with NO red markings.
So by research he is a HYBRID, correct, not a true red cherry shrimp?

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that it is a hybrid. Very low-grade RCS males can in fact be basically clear. However if you are trying to breed higher-quality RCS it would probably be best to cull him out.

The link wasn't working the first time I read this thread, but it is now. Yes, you are right, that isn't just paler, he is brown and bigger than the others. You're right, he may be a hybrid. I know cherry shrimp can change their colour depending on the substrate they spend time on (darker on dark substrate, lighter on light substrate) but that's a lessening or intensifying of colour, not switching colours all together.
Also, males tend to be smaller than females, not by a huge amount, but some. That guy is much bigger than your females.

Okay did you check out the link with picture?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ture47781.html
He is the one that is big and more to the right of the pic
IMO, that is beyond pale, I researched males were more clear-ish with red markings???????????????
When I got him that's how he came. It was only after he molted (maybe within 1-2 weeks) 1-2 times he changed to clear-ish BROWN with NO red markings.
So by research he is a HYBRID, correct, not a true red cherry shrimp?

Also, are you sure it was that same shrimp who molted? Generally, RCS molt every 1-3 months, so I am doubtful that the same shrimp molted twice within a two week time frame.

Also, are you sure it was that same shrimp who molted? Generally, RCS molt every 1-3 months, so I am doubtful that the same shrimp molted twice within a two week time frame.

I am definitely sure because he is the biggest shrimp in the tank and it was a biggg molt....I have separated him from the gene pool....he is bigger than my ghost shrimp too...can anyone ID his specie?

The link wasn't working the first time I read this thread, but it is now. Yes, you are right, that isn't just paler, he is brown and bigger than the others. You're right, he may be a hybrid. I know cherry shrimp can change their colour depending on the substrate they spend time on (darker on dark substrate, lighter on light substrate) but that's a lessening or intensifying of colour, not switching colours all together.
Also, males tend to be smaller than females, not by a huge amount, but some. That guy is much bigger than your females.

Can you ID him?

Back
Top Bottom