Breeding RCS Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have decided to breed RCS. I have 4, 1 male 2 females and an unknown baby. If there any RCS breeders on here, if you have the time, I am open for any important information and or suggestions in order to have a successful breeding experience.

I guess a good starting spot would be my setup and water parameters:

5g tank, Plants: wisteria, water sprite, some others, DW

Ph-7.4
Ammo-.25 (tap contains 1.0)
Trite-0
Trates.-5.0
Temp: 79 degrees

Here is the link to the photo
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/66406-albums10829-picture46381.html

I'm breeding RCS, and the thing you want to really focus on is stability. Don't have wild pH swings, have steady parameters, temperature, etc.

They really like moss like Christmas Moss or Java Moss, I read that these mosses grow something that shrimplets especially like to eat.

Otherwise, just treat it like you're keeping fish. Once or twice a week water changes, and all that good stuff. RCS are quite hearty and don't require much special care.

Happy shrimpkeeping :D

Okay, well I am great in that area so far... I do have java moss on my dw and some on a rock ...what is a good food? I been having them for about 1 week and haven't seen them much, are they nocturnal? Is it better to feed at night? Is it normal for them to find a crevice spot on the dw and just stay there?...

Mine zipped around the tank for the first few hours they were there, then they settled down. Shrimp are good hiders, and since you only have 4, it's OK that you don't see them much.

You can feed them a variety of things, one common shrimp food is broken up algae discs that you feed plecos. You can also feed them premade veggie sticks, and mine love barley pellets. The veggie sticks you can get from kensfish.com, but I don't know where to get the barley pellets. Mine came with the shrimp as a freebie. I feed my shrimp during the daytime and it seems as if they are fine with it. As you have only 4 shrimp right now, only give a tiny amount of food, as a little goes a long way.

Geronica said:
Should they be fed daily

I would disagree with that, I feed every third day normally a small piece of algae wafer, as much as they can eat in a couple of hours. Feeding every day can lead to over feeding and lots of decomposing food in the tank that could impact water quality.

I would disagree with that, I feed every third day normally a small piece of algae wafer, as much as they can eat in a couple of hours. Feeding every day can lead to over feeding and lots of decomposing food in the tank that could impact water quality.

Okay, I have some type of small wafer looking stuff that the lfs told me to crumble for them...smaller than algae wafers and easy to crumble with two fingers...

Another thing, when I see green looking eggs, what does this mean and what do I need to expect or look for?

Geronica said:
Okay, I have some type of small wafer looking stuff that the lfs told me to crumble for them...smaller than algae wafers and easy to crumble with two fingers...

Another thing, when I see green looking eggs, what does this mean and what do I need to expect or look for?

I give a small piece of algae wafer smaller than a pea. even then that can be bit large. I wouldn't crumble up the food then it's to hard to net out and left overs.

The green eggs means that in about 3 weeks or do you will see baby shrimp, provided there is nothing that will eat them.

I give a small piece of algae wafer smaller than a pea. even then that can be bit large. I wouldn't crumble up the food then it's to hard to net out and left overs.

The green eggs means that in about 3 weeks or do you will see baby shrimp, provided there is nothing that will eat them.

Wow, really, well both came with green eggs and one no longer has them but I haven't seen any babies. My other one still has her eggs so I guess I will be extra cautious to look out for them....do the parents eat them?

Wow, really, well both came with green eggs and one no longer has them but I haven't seen any babies. My other one still has her eggs so I guess I will be extra cautious to look out for them....do the parents eat them?

No, but any fish will make a quick meal out of them. They are pretty tiny and normally aren't seen for a couple weeks.

Wow, 2 days ago my rcs finally start eating in the open where I can watch and guess what I just happen to see today when I looked carefully into my tank??? Yes, babies! I am so excited, I hope none got caught in filter before I placed the nylon stocking over the intake....I have only spotted 2 thus far. How many can the normally have at once? Do they hide for awhile?

Pic of the 2...one on glass wall and other on leaf of plant
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: RCS - Picture
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: RCS - Picture

Hi all. I have a serious question to those who know and breed RCS. When I purchased this big male he was clear with red markings on his back and I noticed after he molted 1-2 times in my tank his red markings disappeared...why?

I have had him about 2 months now (I purchased him and 2 berried females at same time. One female babies did not survive because I did not know what to look for and I believe I siphoned them :-( but I was so careful waiting for the next female and whalah I did see she had her babies and I spotted one..too tiny at first). But I really want to know where is his red markings?

Here is a link to pic
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/66406-albums10829-picture47781.html

Hello im new to this only had my crabs about a month or so iv got two males and 3 females and one of my females are now pregnant i can see the sack she is carrying under ger soo now what do i do ? Is there anythink i need to do as i was thinking about taking her out of the tank and making a new one ?

Hello im new to this only had my crabs about a month or so iv got two males and 3 females and one of my females are now pregnant i can see the sack she is carrying under ger soo now what do i do ? Is there anythink i need to do as i was thinking about taking her out of the tank and making a new one ?

Hi sorry I don't have an answer for you but you might want to start a new thread about your concern..this thread is about red cherry shrimp

Hi all. I have a serious question to those who know and breed RCS. When I purchased this big male he was clear with red markings on his back and I noticed after he molted 1-2 times in my tank his red markings disappeared...why?

I have had him about 2 months now (I purchased him and 2 berried females at same time. One female babies did not survive because I did not know what to look for and I believe I siphoned them :-( but I was so careful waiting for the next female and whalah I did see she had her babies and I spotted one..too tiny at first). But I really want to know where is his red markings?

Here is a link to pic
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/66406-albums10829-picture47781.html

Okay no one has an educated guess???? If not I'm going to remove him so I won't have hybrid shrimps

I have cherry shrimp and have been doing some research. Males are often paler/less colorful than females. Red cherry shrimps are a specially bred form, bred for intense color. The paler color is closer to the wild form. Also, shrimplets tend to start out paler and get darker as they get older

I have cherry shrimp and have been doing some research. Males are often paler/less colorful than females. Red cherry shrimps are a specially bred form, bred for intense color. The paler color is closer to the wild form. Also, shrimplets tend to start out paler and get darker as they get older

Okay did you check out the link with picture?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ture47781.html
He is the one that is big and more to the right of the pic
IMO, that is beyond pale, I researched males were more clear-ish with red markings???????????????
When I got him that's how he came. It was only after he molted (maybe within 1-2 weeks) 1-2 times he changed to clear-ish BROWN with NO red markings.
So by research he is a HYBRID, correct, not a true red cherry shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom