breeding white cloud mountain minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatnad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i have probably 12 white cloud mountain minnows in my 55g tank and in the past they bred without me even trying to breed them. well this time i want to actually attempt it and would like a bit of help from anyone that has bred these.

first off is how do you sex them? i read online that males are slimmer and brighter in color. also the males anal fin will be more like a fan and the female anal fin is a triangle. is this right? if so im having a really hard time telling what i have since these guys never stop moving, dont have their anal fin open for longer than a split second other than when 2 might be flaring up at each other and they are so small its hard to see the fin anyways. all of them seem to have the same brightness of color so cant use that to sex. i will post a few pics in a bit and see if you someone can help sex them for me.

next what conditions did you set to make them even want to breed? ive read several different claims to how to get them to breed.

these things are so hard to take pictures of. these are the best i could do.

not sure on this one
8iQSM0w.jpg

i think female?
sxoHImT.jpg

this one looks male(one in the bottom left)
boMoHRy.jpg

no clue
osh55SD.jpg

When I breed long fin white clouds I just set them up in 30 breeder in my coolest spot in fish room.
They are egg scatterers so not much work to it.
I just provided plant cover and cool water.
They are like goldfish for temps so the coolest you could keep them is probably best.
Sexing them is difficult and probably not important. You want a group of 6 -12 and just let them go at it. The flaring you see is likely two males competing for a female. As time passes the males will be more ornate then the females but that is not always easy to see quickly.

Best way to tell who is skinnier is view from above not the side.
Good luck The long fins were not so common when I found them ,so the breeding was worth while in many ways.
A highly under appreciated fish with experienced keepers IMO.

Thank you, I am very happy that I am here again visible.
I have sakura, red cherry and various black and blue shrimp.
They have survived my routines for several years.
I hope you also succeed with the Blue RAM.
102018-albums14463-picture69923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom