Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well now my mom has sterbai in her bedroom tank and no spawning so far. Our Ph from the tap is 8.6. I need to let it sit overnight then test Coralbandit said. I really think a lot has to do with how domesticated the particular fish is. Wild caught I'm sure would prefer your water over mine. I do add IAL so that makes a difference and I have not done tests on IAL tanks yet. I can though. I just got a new Kh and Gh kit.

Brenna

Good luck with the job! I'm lucky here the local club I joined has several other women that attend. But it's small and we don't have some of the programs you are taking about. There don't seem to many women on the forum but it's hard to tell. It's interesting to me that this hobby is male dominated. Any thoughts on why that is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck with the job! I'm lucky here the local club I joined has several other women that attend. But it's small and we don't have some of the programs you are taking about. There don't seem to many women on the forum but it's hard to tell. It's interesting to me that this hobby is male dominated. Any thoughts on why that is?

I'm not sure. I've noticed it's men who usually do the cichlids too. I have no idea if that's just in my area or what. Do you think it has to do with all the science and math involved at times. It's been shown in studies that girls don't always excel in math and science because they think it's not attractive. Just a random idea.

It's funny because when I go to the swaps near Chicago it's mostly men and the women are with their husbands/bf's etc. I rarely see lone females such as myself walking around buying anything. It's not necessarily intimidating, it's very crowded.

Brenna

Maybe it's the bucket lugging. Lol. I love math and especially science. Guess that's unusual. But I'm also new to the hobby. I just wonder what attracts men to the hobby over women. No need to answer just an interesting thought/conversation.

Maybe it's the bucket lugging. Lol. I love math and especially science. Guess that's unusual. But I'm also new to the hobby. I just wonder what attracts men to the hobby over women. No need to answer just an interesting thought/conversation.

I've spent most of the higher ed career studying gender differences so this topic interests me a good deal. It just sort of came up today. Even in the old Aquarium books it's all male subjects and they all ready written by men. Diana Walstad is an exception. I'd like to hear some men weigh in.

Brenna

I think it's down to luck and area,the Jacksonville fish club in part of has a lot of women who actually brought their families in the hobby and a lot of women who know their fish. But near my area of Florida it is predominantly male fish keepers specializing in cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dunno, ironically fishkeeping was my mom's and my hobby together growing up. My dad tried to get me into building cars and motorcycles and guns and I just wanted to go screw around with my fish tanks and my mom was always the one who did that stuff with me.

Im gone for like 3 days and i have to read like 20+ pages on yours, sinis and papas threads >.>. No real clubs locally, but my cousin actually started a facebook group that now somehow has over 100 people in it and roughly 75 are local (one of them is the guy we talked about bren.) But their are only about 2 woman, one of whom is actually pretty cool and breeds discus. Im the baby of the group i believe and everyone kind of gives me sh*t. But i noticed when the one lady was talking about discus some of the guys jumped in telling her she was wrong when they have never breed discus. I don't really get it.

Some of the guys are older, 50+ and have been doing it 20/30+ years. Basically in the hobby longer then i have been alive lol. Im sure part of it is a woman thing but part of it is an age thing like you were saying people born before the 70s. But honestly i think some of it comes down to how old the person your talking to is, i was talking to a guy the other day who was 35 and was very cool/helpful. But then there are people older/younger then him that kind of talk to you like sh*t. Could be how they are raised or them instantly thinking they know more. Funny thing is after reading all these things from people like andy, papa, gillie, brook and coral (and other people like that.) half the things these people say seem to be incorrect or them talking out of their booty. Honestly i don't take much of what they say to be factual lol.

So more to your original points, I personally think some of it is gender, some of it is age and some of it was how you were raised, or even who you were raised by (solo mom/dad type things.)

I've spent most of the higher ed career studying gender differences so this topic interests me a good deal. It just sort of came up today. Even in the old Aquarium books it's all male subjects and they all ready written by men. Diana Walstad is an exception. I'd like to hear some men weigh in.

Brenna
Weighing in as a man I wish I was a woman in this man infested hobby..:ermm:
We are such saps!:hide:
Any of these dinks with a chick that buys them a guppy thinks they have a keeper!:eek::lol:

I can't believe men give woman a hard time these days...
Seems pretty ignorant IMO...

But then there are people older/younger then him that kind of talk to you like sh*t. Could be how they are raised or them instantly thinking they know more. Funny thing is after reading all these things from people like andy, papa, gillie, brook and coral (and other people like that.) half the things these people say seem to be incorrect or them talking out of their booty. Honestly i don't take much of what they say to be factual lol.

So more to your original points, I personally think some of it is gender, some of it is age and some of it was how you were raised, or even who you were raised by (solo mom/dad type things.)

people are as different as fish(even the ones that look the same!).
I think a lot goes into how people interact.
It is shame how disrespectful some can get with little to no needed info...

I think it also has to do with area of the country. In my case, and a number of my friends, Mothers were the ones who got us started. In my case, it was my Grandmother's tank that got me interested in fish keeping. I just took it to a whole other level. :lol: I grew up in an area where the military fort was where most of the men were so the women were more in charge of all things household and child.

The freshwater fish club in the area I moved to in FL was mixed. Some very interesting and knowledgeable women in that group. But this was long ago and that group no longer exists. :(

I find those that speak the loudest and claim they know everything, know absolutely nothing. Being a female who likes fish keeping is rough. I do take my boyfriend with me to carry everything around and usually the men at the LFS will talk to him rather than me even after he tells them that he's just there to look pretty. I've also received the laugh that those types of smarmy men give when they are about to tell you that you don't know anything. Oddly enough I was able to shut one dwn on ich after Caleb and coralbandit helped me cure ich with my female betta.

I much appreciate how wonderful the males on here seem to be. I'm not a breeder of fish (nor will I ever be, I freak out too much for that) but it is nice to know that even a lowly betta owner can get respectful answers. This forum is awesome with all of the help from women and men who actually are willing to help and know a little something.

Oh, I've been haunting this thread since you had started it. Love the new L333 tank and all the guppy strains you have! Keep being awesome Brenna and ignore those who don't treat you with you respect.

Thanks to all for chiming in. I agree age does have to do with it at times. I find mostly that people on this forum are more respectful than the others. I never feel like a second class citizen here and I thank you all for that.

Nkoyko-- I'm glad to read that you're lurking. I have an issue at the lfs that women don't want to wait on me. I used to have a small cat toy business and when my dad would sit with me at the cat shows I actually had other women come up and ask him questions and not me. He always referred them to me because it was my rodeo and he did t know the answer anyway. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it's that it used to be that men have the money and time for a hobby, compared to women who traditionally were busy with kids/housework/etc, and didn't have time for a real hobby??? It is significantly changing now, so sorry if the above post is offensive, just an idea.

Although in my club it's also almost all male, and most over 50.

Another thing I'm curious is, are everyone's clubs mostly white as well? Or Asian..... I don't know about anyone's race on AA, so might just be my club....

I'm pretty fortunate that my club and area has a few women who are very active and respectable in the hobby, contributions to tfh, breeder awards, board members. Also very diverse in terms of race...but as far as age is concerned I'm the youngest by over ten years.
The LFS knows when me and my boyfriend come in that I'm the instigator but he's definitely the more popular one (chatty Kathy). Luckily for me everyone has been very welcoming and never given me any trouble or made me feel inferior in any way so it's all good. Sorry to hear about the negative experiences others have had :(

Back
Top Bottom