Brine Shrimp: Growing to Adults

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKANE722

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience in growing Brine shrimp from the Naplii to adults?
I've been trying my hand at it and can't seem to get down the perfect combination of food. I grow my own nannochloropsis and this is what I feed my Brine shrimp however it seems I either tend to over feed them or under feed them. I know you would just say just feed in between the two and it should be okay but this still does not seem to be the correct amount. The water still gets cloudy and fouled up and they die off. I have plenty of aeration and plenty of water movement with no dead spots on the aquarium floor. However I still have massive die offs after a couple days. Is there anyone with any experience out there that can help me, maybe give me a few pointers in growing them to adults? I've had some success but it was very limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello ckane ,
I was thinking about raising brine shrimp and watched a bunch of you tube videos on it.
sorry that's all I got

Hello ckane ,
I was thinking about raising brine shrimp and watched a bunch of you tube videos on it.
sorry that's all I got

Thanks Demo. I've basically done the same but none really give you a good basis to go upon. Some say feed them very little, while others say feed them multiple times a day. Most focus upon the hatching. Appreciate it tho. Good looking out

are you raising them as a food source?
if so, then the babies are much more nutritious than the adults are if they still have the yolk sac. brine shrimp are marginally nutritious and the only reason to raise them is to feed finicky eaters.

That's right. If you don't gut load the adults before harvesting them, then your much better off increasing your hatch and feeding the baby brine.

Paul B. has described his home made baby brine feeder he has used to spawn pipefish and dragonets. Check him out on Reef2Reef. Or google him. His reef just turned 40 years old. He's also on Facebook on Alberts Thiels Nano forum. He is seriously old school and inventive, as a result he has developed a lot of valuable stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
are you raising them as a food source?
if so, then the babies are much more nutritious than the adults are if they still have the yolk sac. brine shrimp are marginally nutritious and the only reason to raise them is to feed finicky eaters.

Yes I am raising them as a food source. I have a sweet lips that either can't see or won't touch the babies. whereas my other fish go crazy. And yes, Coyote, I do gut load the adults I'm able to grow with spirulina and Nanno prior to harvesting. I'll check that guy out. Name doesn't sound familiar which means it's a source I haven't come across. Hopefully I can get more pointers there. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom