Brine shrimp hatchery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I've recently gone through a lot of bad advice concerning my newly hatched axolotl but now have it in a small see through box with the right conditions however, I was told (and have researched) that they can survive on baby brine shrimp which I have been buying and was wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to breed them myself so my questions are:-
How hard is it to breed brine shrimp?
What conditions do they need?
And
Is this an easy process to do?
Any help would be greatly received :)

Breeding brine shrimp is relatively easy if you can manage them. I have bred brine shrimp before by luck and it was hard. Raising them would be the hardest part. The main thing you need would be a food source, I mostly used crushed up fish flakes but that wouldn't account for the proper diet the would need. The best diet for brine shrimp would be spirulina powder. What I also done was take some rocks from the beach and wash it off. Leave it in a container of fresh water and place it where it will get a lot of sunlight. Once the water turns into a greenish color, you can put the brine shrimp eggs in. You don't have to worry about the salinity because the rocks will leach salt into the water.

Yes, Spirulina powder is a kind of dried up algae powder and it's small enough for the brine shrimps to filter feed

Back
Top Bottom