Bristle/fire worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had many issues with bristle worms in the past eating my corals. I recently took out all my LR and left them out until they were almost dry. Can the little pests live through that?
Any info on these little suckers would be helpful. Thanks

quite possible.... could be a wet spot in the holes of the LR where there may be a few in there, once in the tank they may repopulate..... when you took out the LR to dry out. was the LR completely dead once almost dry???

if the LR is already dead you could just fresh water dip it for a few hours IF all the algae etc is dead already. if it isn't then don't to this.

Have you tried getting a few fish to just eat the worms?

Did you clean out the rest of the tank also? They love to bury into the sand. And I wouldn't doubt there are still some alive on the rock.

If you want to be sure just boil the rocks if you have a large enough pot and/or smaller rocks.

Do NOT boil rocks. Not only is there a chance they can explode, but if there were any zoas/palythoas or corals with toxins present, they can release gasses that can kill you.

Seriously? I've read tons of posts that people successfully boiled rocks. Are you thinking of baking maybe? Like in the oven.

For one I'm skeptical they are eating your corals. I have a ton in my tank and they dot touch corals. Have you seen them eating perfectly healthy coral or coral that was dying? They are after all scavengers and a dying coral would make a good meal.

Yes, I've read stories on other forums of people ending up in the hospital after boiling their rocks. Zoanthids/palythoas have a very potent toxin that will go in the air when boiled, and even if you don't think there's any on your rocks i'd still be concerned just in case.

The safest way to go would be to bleach them in a container outside. I did this with my rocks a while back. I found a specific method online that I used, don't remember it anymore though. It does take patience though, because the rocks need to be rinsed and soaked in clean water several times to remove all the bleach.

Definitely won't leave any life behind though... And rocks end up looking white and new.

Well, may I ask why you are trying to kill off the bristle worms for doing their job? I'd want to figure out why my coral was dying rather than putting time and effort into exterminating your clean up crew. The processes outlined will also kill off the beneficial bacteria in your rocks and might cause cycling issues.

I'm just going to leave them alone
I only had the coral for about a day and then I eventually saw the worms just eating it

Agreed, I don't think the bristleworms are to blame here. They were just doing their job eating decaying material.

Back
Top Bottom