Bristle Worms...Stay or Go?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kentucky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems that I have myself a bristle worm infestation in my SW tank. I'm planning on adding coral and/or anemones to this tank and was wondering if I should annihilate the bristle worm population or let it thrive.

FYI...I'm not one to take risks or wait to see what happens.

It really depends on size of the bristle worm and tank. I have a 125 gallon tank and I`ve seen them in my tank. I consider them as good janitors in a reef tank. I have never lost a coral to a bristle worm. JME

Agreed, unless its a serious infestation and they are all over everything, I would leave them be. They will learn to hide when a hungry fish is added into your tank.

Another vote for let them be. Even if you did want to rid your tank of them, pretty sure it would be a lost cause. For every one you see, I'm pretty sure there is at *least* one you can't.

I have tons of them hiding under every piece of rock they work well on cleaning up the messes that is left behind especailly feeding time. But I too have not lost a single coral from them. Consider them very good- But keep an eye out on the Larger ones those you might not want to get to big in your system- Last time I ended up pulling out a 12incher... YUCK!!!

Friendly bit of advice, bristle worms are, well bristly, if you find yourself handling rock or macro or something that has them in it, watch out. The spines can cause your skin to become irritated kinda like a minor bee sting. Speaking from experience on this one.

Also agree that they should stay, they serve a purpose.

Back
Top Bottom