Bristlenose pleco out of control at feeding time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Throwing his body around and beating up my peppered cories, now one of buy cories has a blood spot on his body for the second time in 2 weeks. Their is nothing else that could be hurting him in the tank. I feed in the morning and how I feed is the food spread all over the tank but for whatever reason the pleco wants what is near the cories.

Will feeding at night help? Any suggestions would really be welcome. These guys get plenty of food. I give the pleco cucumber or zuchinni every couple days that I have stuck to the side of tank so he has it by himself.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is one of the main reasons I removed mine, aside from the huge poos. She'd bull rush the tank during feeding, many times, it was aweful really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My BN pleco did the same thing.. Actually killed 2 of my cory cats. He'd always flail his body and send everything nuts. He recently died from unknown causes, however..

Yep, I thought I had an especially mean one, but I guess not. Mine is also bullying my other fish, including the Dojo Loaches, so he's going to the LFS. All they seem to do is poop and eat, and mine is such a pig that the rest of the fish are very leery of him, and I worry that my dojos won't get enough to eat.

I have never had a problem with my bristlenose plecos...the daily meal for the tank consist of: algae wafers, blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes as they are in a tank with 2 raphael catfish, dojo loaches, cories, gourami and a dwarf puffer. I have had my tank for 6 years with absolutely no aggression from any one.

I don't know. I know they are well feed, my tank is well planted..with driftwood and rocks to hide in during the day. And they are kept entertained by eating the cory eggs off the glass at least a couple times a week.

I have a bright light for my plants but that is only kept on for 5-6 hrs a day...then they are in the dark.

That is the tanks life. For me it works because like I said they are all going on 6+ years. I lost a dojo recently but I assumed it was old age, she was 8 yrs and a rubber lipped pleco 6+ years.

Never had disease either...so I don't know

I'd be scared to death to put cories in there, with the way mine act. I am giving both mine to an LFS on Monday. I can't take it anymore. I would put blanched zucchini in the tank, a slice on each side of the tank (55 gallon). The pleco would eat some of it on "his" side, then go over and deliberately rush at anything that was anywhere near the other slice on the other side. Then, he'd go back again. Back and forth, making sure no one had any time to eat in peace.

Mine is female and bothers nothing. Getting big to. She will actually let everything else go at the veggies before she even tries. Loves the algae on the driftwood and just for her thing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom