Brite Lite Kit from AH Supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All. I know this belongs in another Forum, but just in case you are thinking of upgrading and are skeptical about a DIY project, this one is a snap.

I just finished building the 6 X 55 from AH Supply. This from someone who cringes when his wife asks him to hang curtains (LOL). Well I now have high noon in the Amazon and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for suggesting this one Rex!!

Well, since I did NOT get my new lights from Santa this year, I will probably be right behind you on this one, Brian!

Did you take pics of the process so we can see how you did it? Who needs curtains when there are plants to be grown, anyway?

No TankGirl I didn't take any pics but just let me know when you're ready and I'll help you with all the short cuts. Cross my heart (LOL)

Okay, Brian. I have a birthday conveniently coming up, so we will see. I do think this is the most cost-effective way to go. Hubby is an architect and has electrical contractors he deals with frequently, and wants to get everything from them, but I am concerned he will get the wrong Kelvin bulbs or something. I have sent him the link to AH Supply, just in case...

AH Supply kits are awesome. They come with all the parts you would ever need. Directions that most 11 year olds could understand. And the reflectors......

Yes Rex it's awesome. Thing is I built the enclosure 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider then they're plans called for. I'm glad I did because it gave me room to work.

Yes Rex it's awesome. Thing is I built the enclosure 1 inch taller and 1 inch wider then they're plans called for. I'm glad I did because it gave me room to work.

...not only can most 11 year olds understand the directions...most people over 11 can understand them too!!!

Even if you have no experience with electricity, the instructions are very straight-forward...even I couldn't/didn't mess anything up!!!

Their reflector truly puts the light down into the tank. I've compared Coralife to AH Supply and there is no comparison. My 36 watt AH is brighter than my 65 watt Coralife PC. Its because of the design of AH Supply's reflector. I second Brian's thanks to Rex for also turning me on to this great little company! :D

Here's what 330 watts look like. Must be like noon on the Amazon :D The enclosure is 72x10x5 1/2. Home Depot cut all the pine to length so all I had to do was predrill and screw. Even with 6 reflectors, it doesn't generate enough heat to need a fan.

I have an AH kit due this week (1-9-04) I will take pictures of the process and make them available if no one has already done this.

Jay

Hopefully your kit comes soon...My tank has been without lights now for 2 days so I have to get this thing under way...and I'd love to see pics of the procedure.

Hehe. Well, I'm getting a 4*65W (I know they're not any more powerful than the 55Ws) Coralife fixture, so I'll let you know how that looks on my 55 gallon when it arrives. Gettin' it really cheap, so no complaints!

OK Folks - here are my pictures of the basic steps installing an AH kit. The project took me about 1.5 hours to complete. I was going slowly and taking the pictures. The hardest part for me was measuring the plastic mounting posts on the hood for drilling the holes in the relector. I went slow and got it right the first time.

The file is a bit large at 3.5 meg but I wanted to make sure there was plenty of detail. Remember that these pictures are only for understanding what work will be involved and is not intended to replace the instructions that come with the kit. Since this involves electrical work I would strongly suggest that you follow the instructions closely.

BTW I really like the difference the light made and I am very pleased with the kit.

http://clubbusa.com/Jay/Aqlight.zip

My brother has a 75 gallon hes interested in planting after seeing my little 10 gallon.(Sibling battles) :lol: Anyhow, I directed him towards the ahsupply site. Whats he gonna need to grow swordplants, java and higher light plants like hairgrass? His current hood only has 40 watts of light. Thats less than a watt per gallon! :cry:

How much work does he want? He can go right to a 4x55 watt kit and have 2.93 wpg which is really more light than that as the wpg rule starts to break down on tanks in this size range. It would be enough light to allow him to grow just about anything he wants. The drawback is he would need a pressurized CO2 system.

Can't agree more about AH Kits

Based off of this thread I ordered two of the 36W18" kits ( http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm ) on Tuesday to retrofit/replace the woeful 15w18"ers that came with my tank. Got them on Thursday and had them installed and working in less than 1 1/2 hours. And boy do they make a difference. I highly recommend them.

jclubb I found the best way to get the post locations for the reflector was to coat them with a lot of sharpie ink and then before it had a chance to dry, press down on the reflector on to the posts. I got a nice circle showing me the exact location of the post and didn't have to worry about screwing up the measurements.

Their website again for any interested parties http://www.ahsupply.com

WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED???

i'll tell you what happened...i just bought my 2x55 bright kit from ahsupply and i couldn't be more excited. :mrgreen: i was going to buy the 1x96, but then i realized how short it was and figured there would be dark spots on the sides of the tank. two 22" 55watt kits should be able to be spaced out pretty equally. the interior of the tank is going to be 54.25", i can bring each light in 3.5"in from the side and that should be about equal spacing. plus, i get more light! 110w vs 96w!

anybody know about how long it takes for them to ship?

Back
Top Bottom