Broke pre filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've only had this pre filter about a month and already the 2 pieces that lock in the sponge are broke, I have the broken flare held together with a rubber band, the Sponge covers it, I don't know if rubber bands are safe, it's not a perminent fix just temporarily until I order a new one in a few min, but before I do that I would like recommendations on if I need one to prevent sand from going into my aquaclear motor, I've tried mesh its very fine so it doesn't suck up anything so that won't work, I do have the pre-filter on there all rigged up not even vertical is horizontal because that's the only way I could do it, I don't know if they sell replacement parts for it but for 16.00 I might as well get a new one, also I would like to know if I absolutely need a TDS Meter, if you recommend a pre filter it's for an aquaclear 50, the one I got wasn't from Dr foster was from Amazon so maybe it is just cheap construction as I also broke an elbow and I was not even being rough, any suggestions would be appreciated even a diy idea so I don't burn the motor up in my new aquaclear.

I just get sponges of proper size for air driven filters and slip them over my intakes...
Just a sponge a little bigger then what they sell for fluval edges and specs [which run an AQ 20]..I have over 15 AQ 50s all with simple sponge and nothing else on the intake. I use them to keep filter cleaner longer and to prevent my fry from being sucked up..

https://www.amazon.com/XY-2822-Doub...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7M1QE5B99066XCSP6JYP

^^Something like this that does not have a hole in both ends...^^(y)

Yeah that's the issue I have with this one is without the 2 pieces connected theres a hole on the bottom, I saw that one but would it work on my filter? I can't find individual sponges with one end closed

1/2" longer than the tapered end & a half inch larger in circumference. Cut a center slit down almost to the bottom then push it on the end. AQ & Fluval both have inserts that work

I have the Sponge that came with my new aquaclear still in the package, but my convict spits sand in the intake, so I need something that wraps around the intake tube, would doing what you said work or would I have to kinda hollow out the middle

You can "X" out the middle of square sponges if the look does not bother you. I have used the aquaclear inserts like that before.

You can "X" out the middle of square sponges if the look does not bother you. I have used the aquaclear inserts like that before.
Are you recommending the whole assemble of that or just the replacement sponges?

Back
Top Bottom