Broke temp guage in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labidis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I dropped the temp guage in the tank, and it broke... Mercury went into tank.. Aamnd some broken glass :(
I have gravel cleaned, but see anytging in the tank, but also couldnt see anything get syphoned up either :(

What potential damage could i have caused , 1 with the broken glass and 2 with the mercury ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Unless it was an old thermometer, it most likely wasn't Mercury.

What colour was the liquid that rises in this thermometer (before it broke)?

If it was red, then its alcohol not mercury and the silver balls are likely weights only not mercury.

If it was silver liquid, then it is most likely mercury. Take caution even cleaning it up as it poses a huge risk to your health.

Thats a relief... This is the temp guage before it broke.
Its was 10 months old, and yes, RED!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417335521.220444.jpg

Any advice on the broken glass.
Will my bottom feeders get cut when trying to eat ?

It is possible that they could get cut. If the broken glass all fell in one area of the tank, then take a cup and scoop out and replace all the substrate in that area. If it spread out when it broke, well, you may need to try and replace all your substrate, or risk loosing fish.

Replacing the whole substrate on a 120gal tank is quite a task.
Thinking will risk it. Hopefully the vac was enough !

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes the silver balls are weights as mercury is a liquid at normal temperatures.

You could try passing a magnet (eg - algae scrubber) through the substrate in case the metal balls are magnetic. I cannot remember if they are or not.

Good idea.... Will give that a go.
I wish there were magnets for glass as well

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom