Broken Reef Octopus Skimmer Pump - Need Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
My HOB Reef octopus 1000s Saltwater Aquariums, Fish Tank Supplies, Aquarium Products and Reef Tank Equipment - Reef Octopus SRO XP 1000S HOT the pump which is a hy-1000s broke on me. I came home and my skimmer was not running.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing this unit? CV-HY-1000S Premium Aquatics - CV-HY-1000S Aquarium Supplies Something cheaper than this please, I'm having a really hard time trying to buy what I believe to be a simple air pump for $150. I will buy it if a majority of you say that it is better to buy the original model instead of using an alternate pump. but if possible please give me a usable alternative ! :/

The pump has a 3 year warranty. You should get in touch with the place you bought it and see what needs to be done to get it replaced.

I bought the skimmer used off of craigslist :T , and I'm not sure if it was my fault it broke in the first place :/ I know water's overflowed from the skimmer and wet it but I'm not sure. I was hoping somebody had experience just using a different pump or something for this..

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and order another one? just sucks paying more for a pump than I did for the skimmer x_x. Thank you capt

blah! I can't do it! somebody please help me replace this pump with some sort of alternative. I'm looking at online hob skimmers for less than $150 D:< I can't justify spending that much on the pump when complete units are cheaper....can somebody help me please

Just getting it wet won't do antyhing to it. It can be totally submersed. Did you take the volute cover off and clean the impeller? You can even soak the whole pump in vinegar to clean it. With the volute cover off, you can plug it in and see if the impeller moves to be sure something isn't binding it.

I was going to go home and try the vinegar thing but I thought , isn't soaking the whole pump equal to it being completely submersed? :p I just don't want to electrocute myself. I wish it's something simply like that, I'm just discouraged because when I plugged it in I didn't hear any noises coming from it.

Are they submersible pumps with that model? Ours always sits completely submerged in water. It is made to be used that way. But our octopus is an in sump skimmer.

Mine is the HOB version, so it runs dry :T. I'm wondering how long I'm willing to wait to buy the pump without harming the tank... Thinking of just buying it now :/ sucks but I don't know what else to do

Check the Coral Vue site, but I'm pretty sure the Bubble Blaster is submersible, it just isn't wet on our XP Hobs.

Exactly. On that particular model it's run externally, but it's used on other models and is submerged. It's safe to let it soak in vinegar to clean it.

I am moving this thread to the General Hardware/Equipment forum.

Back
Top Bottom