Brown Algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
I believe its called diatoms as well?

Either way I know it is sometimes apart of a newly setup tank, Tank has been running for 2 months or so and I have a good amount of it on my airline hose, underwater pump power cord, heater power cord, a very coarse rock, and a few of my plastic plants. Ive been rubbing it off with my hands and a tooth brush but it grows back within 2 days. Anything I should or shouldnt do to help this situation out?

I also have live plants as well, none of the algae is out competing my plants as they are doing great. My tank gets about 3-4 hours of natural morning sunlight.

Also that rock has a coating of green algae on it, but it looks nice so I dont touch that rock. I can take pictures if needed.

Thanks!

Well, first, what are your nitrAte levels? What lighting are you using? You might want to invest in an alage scrubber, they are inexpensive and very helpful. This brown algae may also be cyanobacteria.

For diatoms you have a couple options. First Oto Cats and Nerite snails love diatoms. Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being over run with them.

Another option is to get some type of phosphate remover for your filter. Diatoms are caused ususally by excess silicates in your water. They will eventually go away on their own as the tank matures. If you use a phosphate remover it also removes silicates in the water. All are good options.

For diatoms you have a couple options. First Oto Cats and Nerite snails love diatoms. Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being over run with them.

Another option is to get some type of phosphate remover for your filter. Diatoms are caused ususally by excess silicates in your water. They will eventually go away on their own as the tank matures. If you use a phosphate remover it also removes silicates in the water. All are good options.

I was actually looking into getting snails so I may do that tomorrow. I will look into a phosphate remover as well. Any particular brand you would recommend?

I have a green sponge-like thing that cleans the brown algae right off the glass. That's the kind of thing I was talking about......

In that case yes I do have one :)

Yep, I was also going to say Phos-guard. It's delicate so don't be rough with the granules or they get all powdery. Also be sure to read if your suppose to rinse it, I can't remember but if you are suppose to just run water over it, don't smoosh the bag.

Back
Top Bottom