brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can I get rid of brown algae on sand base and rocks? It's not on the glass. I have snails but they stay on the rocks and sides.

Jeanett

You can use a algae magnet on the glass they work pretty good. What kind if snails are you useing? Hope this helps good luck Dewey

Whenever I top off my tank with well water for makeup water, I get a little bloom of brown along the rocks.

However if I top with RO water, I get no bloom, therefore I am thinking there are silicates and stuff in my water. I don't know if you are using RO water to top/change with or not?

If you're getting it on the substrate you can "storm" the substrate a bit with a turkey baster while you continue to add RO water for changes and topoffs, see if that helps, storm it and let the filters clear water, repeat as needed.

Also - red legged hermit crabs do a nice job of controlling the brown algae if it is actually turning into brown hair algae, not so much the brown dusting.

Also a Lawnmower blenny will bite the brown diatoms/algae off of ANYthing, rocks, CC, glass, sand, you name it.

So maybe a combination of thse things will help you out a bit. Also hihger nitrates in the water will encourage algae growth so if you feel like you might be overfeeding a bit then try dropping the feed back a notch

Oh and also adding kalkwasser to your makeup water is supposed to discourage growth of algae. I havent tried it yet.

Erik

How new is your tank?

Some new tanks will get it for a short time then go away and coraline algae will replace the brown algae.

cleaning crew

I have a 75 gal tank that is about 5 months old. I have 12 astraea snails and about 10 blue legged hermit crabs one sand shifting starfish. I will add to my cleaning crew.

jeanett

Back
Top Bottom