brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avonsurfernc

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to treat brown Algae in my 55 g fresh water planted aquarium with 5 Ranchu goldfishfish? Should I set up a UV or get snails or some kind of algae eating fish?

avonsurfernc said:
What is the best way to treat brown Algae in my 55 g fresh water planted aquarium with 5 Ranchu goldfishfish? Should I set up a UV or get snails or some kind of algae eating fish?

I don't know much about those goldfish but a clow pleco "MIGHT" work. If not MTS aka malaysian trumpet snails will do a great job but also breed like crazy. For my 10g planted community tank I have a Mag-Float and it works GREAT. :)

avonsurfernc said:

U are overstocked with ranchu IMO. What kinda filter do u have? And it sounds like diatom algae. How long has the tank being setup for? Normally if u leave ur light on for longer once the diatom use up all the silicates in Ur water column it will disappear by itself.

U are overstocked with ranchu IMO. What kinda filter do u have? And it sounds like diatom algae. How long has the tank being setup for? Normally if u leave ur light on for longer once the diatom use up all the silicates in Ur water column it will disappear by itself.

+1

just try to manually remove as much as you can with every water change and you should start growing back a bit less every time. definitely try to limit how long your lights are on as well, 6-8 hours is good.

Thanks Hubert for your reply. I actually have 2 filters working a Fluval 405 and a AquaClear . I am afraid to cut back my light because I have plants in the tank. I just ordered a 15watt UV clarifier I am hoping this will help.

IDK if this was a 1 time thing but I had diatoms then GSA then GHA and when the GHA wouldn't go away I got the Mag-Float.

avonsurfernc said:
Fishman I am now reading about the fish you suggested. I have 2 inch cobblestone bottom and are covered in brown. The glass gets cleaned with a mag-float

I posted right after u did. LOL! As far as its on decorations and substrate I defiantly recommend MTS snails if u want a colony of them.

I may try the snails any other input would be appreciated. Is brown Algae single celled? Any scientist here?

It's a type of single celled algae phytoplankton that creates a silica shell .. and brown algae could mean your water source (usually tap) has silicas. I have the stuff mainly on some ornament and the sails of the sunken ship. Our tap's from ground water, and the soil here is sandy.

UV sterilizer are really debated but some swear they do kill of algae, parasites etc. I think they really only kill what's floating in the water column and only what's exposed long enough to the UV.

I do not have one so I'll defer to someone who's used one before.

Do u have a heater? If ur temp is set above 20 degrees celsius which is the ideal temp for ranchu u can get a small school of ottos. But ottos are really sensitive. Is ur tank cycled? And is it heavily planted?

Hubert yes my temp is above 20 cel. it is high 70s in Farenheit. Yes my tank is cycled and maybe 5 plants in a 55g .What are ottos? Mr. Limpet Thanks for the sight on Algea very helpful

avonsurfernc said:
Hubert yes my temp is above 20 cel. it is high 70s in Farenheit. What are ottos? Thanks for the sight on Algea very helpful

What is ur temp? 21 celsius is about 70F for ranchu u want to keep their temp around 21. And ottos are catfish algae eater, they love diatoms.

I bumped the temps up and the light in hopes they will breed. I will look into the ottos thanks. Will the UV work as well? I can't seem to get an answer about a UV clarifier

avonsurfernc said:
I bumped the temps up and the light in hopes they will breed. I will look into the ottos thanks. Will the UV work as well? I can't seem to get an answer about a UV clarifier

I have no idea about UV, mr limpet however is gonna trail one soon for green water.

In regards to breeding. U shouldn't worry about the temperature. Just need to make sure they are happy! :) with the seasons the temp will change and that will trigger their spawning if the conditions are right.

Back
Top Bottom