Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdaddy2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank running for about three months now, stocked with cichlids. 50% weekly water changes. My problem is the brown algae building up on the rocks. Three weeks ago I took all the rocks out and scrubbed the algae off. Now it's all coming back. Is there something I can do to avoid this?
Thanks.

So give it a good scrubbing again and it will eventually stop coming back?

I left mine alone and took about 2 weeks but it went away on it's own. No scrubbing involved on my end.

I just cleaned the too few rocks, hopefully it will stop. Thanks for the advise

Diatoms are a growing pain for newer aquariums. They will grow until their food source is exhausted, it just takes some time. On a side note, the algae is good for fish :)

Completely spotless Sunday after taking whole tank apart. Now the diatoms are back in less than a week

Brown algae needs silicates to survive. Get a silicate tester and test the tank eater and your tap water. Maybe the tap has silicates in it. Also buy a silicates remover if possible to add in your filter. Most silicate removers also remove phosphate so if your tank is planted, dont use or be very careful.
Some gravel also leeches silicates into water.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom