Brown algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
My newly cycled planted tank has developed a bit of what seems to be so-called brown algae... on the glass and gravel substrate

This pic is not my tank as I just cleaned it up for the most part.
However, like in the pic, it is mainly the on the center lower area of the glass .. and gravel in the same area that it appears on the glass

What could cause this...and why just in the lower center of the tank like in the pic?

BTW, I have a hang on the back filter that discharges in the center

Attachments

• algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 82
My theory is that is those areas are where light and flow rates are at optimum levels.

Centre of the tank is usually clear of decorations, plants etc and so light is unobstructed. For the same reason they tend to be more open areas and so flow rate will be slower.

Just a theory.

Diatoms/brown algae is normal in a newly establishing tank and should clear after a while once green algae starts to outcompete for nutrients. My last tank set up i had diatoms from about 1 month after i started my cycle and it cleared up about 2 months my cycle completed.

My newly cycled planted tank has developed a bit of what seems to be so-called brown algae... on the glass and gravel substrate

This pic is not my tank as I just cleaned it up for the most part.
However, like in the pic, it is mainly the on the center lower area of the glass .. and gravel in the same area that it appears on the glass

What could cause this...and why just in the lower center of the tank like in the pic?

BTW, I have a hang on the back filter that discharges in the center

As mentioned, the area is most likely just where flow is low so things settle.

Brown algae is common in new tanks. We don’t know why and likely never will but we know that it poses little problems and will disappear over time so it’s nothing to worry about.

Actually this is the area of the most water flow. there is also an air stone in the same general area further increasing water flow in this area.
It is only a 10 gal tank so, there is antiquate water flow in all areas.

Things are going from bad to worse ....

For about the last two weeks my Ammonia level had constantly dropped to zero.
So I thought my tank was finally cycled . However Ammonia level is now rising again and it is now about .50

Things are going from bad to worse ....

For about the last two weeks my Ammonia level had constantly dropped to zero.
So I thought my tank was finally cycled . However Ammonia level is now rising again and it is now about .50

Maybe something new is contributing to ammonia. Perhaps dead plant growth?

Are you still doing water changes as often as you had been doing when you was happier with your parameters?

Maybe you did something that took out some of your beneficial bacteria? Gravel vac, filter maintenance?

Yeah I did do something..
I had a bit of my old filter material that I placed in with a new filter cartridge in my Aqueon "hang on the back" filter .
However, eventually my nitrate level was rising and I thought this might be the problem because there might be too much decaying matter in it now.
So, I removed it

BTW after my Ammonia was then down to zero constantly, I was doing water changes every other day to get the nitrates down..

Anyway, it seems my cycle is now somewhat screwed up and I have to start over for the most part
So I did a water change yesterday and today added another bottle of Tetra Safe Start..

BTW, keep in mid that I have a pair of Zebra Danios that I got when I first thought the tank was cycled about a couple of weeks ago
So, I have to also continue to make things relatively safe for them.

EDIT...
I just finally got my Nitrite test. The Nitrite is now at 1.0
So I am indeed starting over...

Anytime you remove/replace filter material you will be removing some beneficial bacteria and run the risk of ammonia and/or nitrite spikes until your bacteria re-establishes and your cycle catches up. Same thing can happen to a greater or lesser effect if you over clean your filter or do a gravel vac.

This is especially so in newly established set ups where your bacteria colony isnt well established throughout your aquarium.

You are right that trapped detritus will give off ammonia leading to nitrate. Sponges and other filter media should periodically be rinsed in dechlorinated water (just use some water taken from the tank in most cases) to remove stuff like decaying plant matter and ensure free water flow. You only need to remove/replace filter media if it is falling apart, and if you are at that point make sure not to remove too much at once and be prepared for spikes.

Thank you Aikern.
Cycling is all somewhat new to me.

In the past, over 30 years ago I had some rather big tanks.
That was a time when cycling and water changes were not known/practiced by the general pubic. Back then it was more or less a given that fish wild die occasionally and you just replaced them.
The only thing you were told to do was check the water PH.
Today there is a wealth of info available with a vast area of aquarium products

So It's been a leaning experience for me

BTW i do not have a sponge filter. it is an Aqueon hang on back filter that uses their filter "cartridges". It also has charcoal in the middle of the cartridge. You can not clean them when they get plugged up... you just have to replace them .
What i did was to take some if the filter material off the back cartridge (where the water first goes through it) and added that along with the new filter.
I do have a sponge pre filter that fits over the intake.

BTW I am a bit old school with filters and like to add my own filter materiel. So I may eventually wind up getting a different filter

Back
Top Bottom