brown dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

There is brown dust in my tank. It's everywhere: on the fake plants, on the wood, on the bottom, in the filter, but not on the glass. It doesn't stick on anything (if I stir the water it floats and falls back). Is it some kind of algea? What can I do to get rid of it (I vaccum once a week and I stir the water once in a while so that hopefully some gets suck by the filter)?

Thanks
Vero

Sounds like diatoms. Completely harmless and will go away in a few weeks on it's own. If you want something to eat it, try otos. They love the stuff. Is it a new tank? How long has it been set up?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I wasn't sure if it was algea. It's not overwhelming, but it bugs me because my gravel is pale.

My tank has been up for over a year. It seems to me that I've always had some of that brown dust but it's been worse for at least a month.

I think chinese algea eater gets too big for my tank (liveaquaria says up to 10"). The Otocinclus Catfish would be my pick.

Aside from getting a fish to eat it, is there something I can do?

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom