Brown Fuzz Eating Cory's Fins??? Help! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It happens to the best of us sometimes. I managed to save 3 of 4 discus that got it. The one that died was looking better then just one day started rolling around like his swim bladder was messed up and in less than 24 later he was dead. Sometimes it's out of our control

Caleb

Haha, thanks. >.< Sorry to hear about your discus, though.

I do 30-50% water changes every week, use vitachem and garlic guard, feed them NLS flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, look them over with a scrutinizing eye every day and have a larger filter than I need for the tank size.

BAH!

Just another learning lesson, I guess.

Haha, thanks. >.< Sorry to hear about your discus, though.

I do 30-50% water changes every week, use vitachem and garlic guard, feed them NLS flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, look them over with a scrutinizing eye every day and have a larger filter than I need for the tank size.

BAH!

Just another learning lesson, I guess.

What is vitachem and garlic guard? That could be part of the problem.

Caleb

What is vitachem and garlic guard? That could be part of the problem.

Caleb

Vitachem is just liquid water soluble vitamins, and garlic guard is just garlic extract (read: garlic juice) that I soak their food in to make it yummy and for them to get a little extra immune boost.

My bettas love it. Also, so far *knocks profusely on wood* all of my bettas are doing quite well and are super happy and healthy...and I have too many bettas, *coughIhave9bettascough* lol.

Vitachem is just liquid water soluble vitamins, and garlic guard is just garlic extract (read: garlic juice) that I soak their food in to make it yummy and for them to get a little extra immune boost.

My bettas love it. Also, so far *knocks profusely on wood* all of my bettas are doing quite well and are super happy and healthy...and I have too many bettas, *coughIhave9bettascough* lol.

Hmm never heard of either but I have heard controversy over the use of garlic.

Caleb

Thank you. Okay, so question about salt (Also I posted my params up top on the original post - everything looked okay, except my nitrates were a bit higher than I'd like to see...but it's water change day anyway, and I'm going to do a big thorough gravel vac and boil my decorations and get rid of the java ferns that hated the high temps and decided to melt, lol).

Anyway, yes back to the salt -- I have read that corys don't do well with salt and are sensitive to it -- is the 1 tbls/5g a safe amount for the corys, or should I halve it? Also, can I add it directly to the tank, since I'm treating the whole tank? Often when I work with salt, I will just do it in a QT tank, or it's one of my bettas that live alone and are in their own tank anyway. This will be the first time I have to use salt in my community tank. I also know that generally 100% water changes are recommended because salt compounds and can't be completely removed unless a 100% water change is performed. Is it unsafe to use the salt in my community tank? Would I have to try to do 100% changes in that tank with all the fish in there? o_O I have always done salt with bare bottom tanks that I can just dump out and rinse/refill, repeat. Haven't ever done it with substrate in.

Also, I have some methylene blue on hand (I lost a betta to velvet a few months ago and didn't have any medicine on hand, so I went crazy and bought ALL THE THINGS for my fishie pharmacy, lol), and I know it dyes crap blue and generally is used as a dip. Given that I can't dip all of my fish at once, should I just quickly dip the ones that I do see issues on (in this case, the two corys)? Should I halve the dose for that because of their sensitivity?

Did you try the salt out of interest?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cories-and-salt-dosing-337268.html

I'm not aware of an issue with inverts and fish antibiotics but not something I've really tested / researched.

Did you try the salt out of interest?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cories-and-salt-dosing-337268.html

I'm not aware of an issue with inverts and fish antibiotics but not something I've really tested / researched.

I did not. I just used the furan-2 and the kanaplex.

I was actually going to ask how long I should do the treatment. (If not just you, but anyone knows). I did the directions on the box for Furan-2, so 4 total treatments, and 3 days of Kanaplex (cuz it says not to use it more than 3 days).

My little cory looks like he still has a little fuzz on his lip. He is swimming around more and being more playful and eating, so that is good. But I don't know if I need to do repeat treatments, or if that is even something to do? I haven't used Furan-2 before, and I haven't had an illness this serious before, so...I wanna make sure I do it right.

I did not. I just used the furan-2 and the kanaplex.

I was actually going to ask how long I should do the treatment. (If not just you, but anyone knows). I did the directions on the box for Furan-2, so 4 total treatments, and 3 days of Kanaplex (cuz it says not to use it more than 3 days).

My little cory looks like he still has a little fuzz on his lip. He is swimming around more and being more playful and eating, so that is good. But I don't know if I need to do repeat treatments, or if that is even something to do? I haven't used Furan-2 before, and I haven't had an illness this serious before, so...I wanna make sure I do it right.

I'd repeat the furan 2 for 10 days (just repeat as per instructions).

Kanaplax on mine has dose every 2 days for 3 times. If not getting better, re-dose kanaplax also out to 10 days. Watch for any signs of bloating.

I'd repeat the furan 2 for 10 days (just repeat as per instructions).

Kanaplax on mine has dose every 2 days for 3 times. If not getting better, re-dose kanaplax also out to 10 days. Watch for any signs of bloating.

Will do, thank you for the advice. :) So far *knock on wood* everyone else is acting fine, they enthusiastically ate a bunch of bloodworms yesterday, so. Hopefully it was caught in time. I appreciate the help.

Will do, thank you for the advice. :) So far *knock on wood* everyone else is acting fine, they enthusiastically ate a bunch of bloodworms yesterday, so. Hopefully it was caught in time. I appreciate the help.

Are they eating all the blood worms which I assume are a part of a varied diet. Just don't want any mess in the tank that bacteria can thrive on. Usually eaten pretty quick but just in case.

Are they eating all the blood worms which I assume are a part of a varied diet. Just don't want any mess in the tank that bacteria can thrive on. Usually eaten pretty quick but just in case.

When I peeked in on them last night I didn't see any wormy pieces laying on the gravel. I'm going to do a water change tonight anyway, because before re-dosing the tank I need to do the recommended water change, so I will be vacuuming up anything that they might have missed.

Back
Top Bottom