Brown jelly disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby_n

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got back after being gone for a couple of days and I am concerned that one of my hammers had brown jelly disease. However, I have never actually seen or dealt with bjd so I curious to hear what other people think. I’ll include some pictures. The coral might be a little sucked up because of the starfish crawling on it or bc of the brown stuff :(

I’m planning on dipping it and doing a water change tomorrow.

My tank is a 32 gallon biocube with LED lights. The hammer is on one of the lower rocks with two other hammers, two favia, and a Duncan. I’ve had no issues with anyone stinging/fighting.

Most recent parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 2 ppm
Magnesium: 1425 ppm (I’m a little worried I may have raised this a little too quickly)
Calcium: 420 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.8 dkh
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 76.3 (pretty low, I try to keep it at 78)

IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

I see no sign of brown jelly disease. What I do see is a stressed out and bleaching coral.
How long has it been in the system? The bleaching has been going on for awhile more than a couple days.

I see no sign of brown jelly disease. What I do see is a stressed out and bleaching coral.
How long has it been in the system? The bleaching has been going on for awhile more than a couple days.

Thank you for the reply! It has been in the tank for a little over a month.

Flow isn't something I'm worried about. With the bleaching, usually is light related. Has this coral been in the tank longer than the others around it?

No, the others have been there for longer. Are you suggesting that it might not have enough light? I know that the light on my tank is kind of weak compared to others and this coral is near the bottom, so that would make sense.

I have had a coral that had the disease and it was not pretty. Some causes are having it too low in the tank and sand getting in the soft tissues on the coral. It might need to be raised up in the tank to avoid the sand. Also it could be too much water flow that is damaging the tentacles of the coral.

I have had a coral that had the disease and it was not pretty. Some causes are having it too low in the tank and sand getting in the soft tissues on the coral. It might need to be raised up in the tank to avoid the sand. Also it could be too much water flow that is damaging the tentacles of the coral.

Thanks for the tip! I moved it up a bit higher and I’ll keep an eye on it!

It could be lighting or flow. Sadly we can't ask it. I'd try moving it up a little bit and to a lowish flow area to see what happens.

Moved it up and the tentacles already look bit more open. Thanks for the tip!

I just got back after being gone for a couple of days and I am concerned that one of my hammers had brown jelly disease. However, I have never actually seen or dealt with bjd so I curious to hear what other people think. I’ll include some pictures. The coral might be a little sucked up because of the starfish crawling on it or bc of the brown stuff :(

I’m planning on dipping it and doing a water change tomorrow.

My tank is a 32 gallon biocube with LED lights. The hammer is on one of the lower rocks with two other hammers, two favia, and a Duncan. I’ve had no issues with anyone stinging/fighting.

Most recent parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 2 ppm
Magnesium: 1425 ppm (I’m a little worried I may have raised this a little too quickly)
Calcium: 420 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.8 dkh
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 76.3 (pretty low, I try to keep it at 78)

View attachment 322321View attachment 322322View attachment 322323View attachment 322324

Don’t worry about the magnesium concern.

Your tank has green hair algae. What are your PO4 and NO3 numbers testing at?

Any peppermint shrimp in the system at all?

Any visible pests like flatworms?

Don’t worry about the magnesium concern.

Your tank has green hair algae. What are your PO4 and NO3 numbers testing at?

Any peppermint shrimp in the system at all?

Any visible pests like flatworms?

PO4 I tested two days ago and it was 0.05. I don’t have my nitrite/nitrate test at the moment bc I loaned it to a friend who is cycling a tank. No peppermint shrimp but I do have a cleaner shrimp. Also added a couple more emerald crabs to try and get the algae under control. Removed a big chunk of my chato algae from my refugium a couple days ago to try and give the rest of it more room to grow.

And I did have flat worms at one point a couple of months ago but I have not seen any lately. I have two wrasse and they seem to be doing a good job.

PO4 I tested two days ago and it was 0.05. I don’t have my nitrite/nitrate test at the moment bc I loaned it to a friend who is cycling a tank. No peppermint shrimp but I do have a cleaner shrimp. Also added a couple more emerald crabs to try and get the algae under control. Removed a big chunk of my chato algae from my refugium a couple days ago to try and give the rest of it more room to grow.

And I did have flat worms at one point a couple of months ago but I have not seen any lately. I have two wrasse and they seem to be doing a good job.

Pretty good PO4 number, and if all else seems good, you may be having the algae in your system outcompeting that coral for what it needs to thrive. Just a thought. I’d keep a close eye on it, and other corals at that. Your PO4 number is being locked up by the algae.

Pretty good PO4 number, and if all else seems good, you may be having the algae in your system outcompeting that coral for what it needs to thrive. Just a thought. I’d keep a close eye on it, and other corals at that. Your PO4 number is being locked up by the algae.

That’s a good point! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom