brown "powder" on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting to notice a little of what looks like a brown "powder" on my live rock. Any idea what this is? I'm planning on cleaning my tank tomorrow, should I try to suck this stuff off with a siphon, or what should I do (if anything) about it?

Could be diatoms but most likely it's the normal shedding that LR does. That's why people turkey baste their rocks. (This detritus is perfect algae food and beyond that it's ugly).

If you have a lot of rock, many people will use a small powerhead as opposed to a turkey baster.

yes, squirt it with a stream of saltwater from a turkey baster or powerhead. If you leave it on the rock, you're asking for algae growth.

Next time you do a water change , rubber band a old toothbrush to the end of your siphon hose and scrub rock while doing a water change. It will just go out with the old

melosu58, i see in your stats that you have 3 tangs in your tank. do you have a problem with them being aggressive towards each other at all? i have a 75 gallon, and would love to have 2 (or maybe even 3) tangs at some point. do you think this would be possible? thanks!

You probably could do 2 in a 75. I had two in my previous tank and did not get the third till I went to a 125. I dont have any problem now with the three of them in this long tank. See my gallery for pics

Cool, thanks! I love the yellow, and looking at other different kinds, I think I might get a kole as well.

Ihave 3 in mine a yellow and purple tang that were together at the store and a regal tang and they get alone great.but I got then all at the same time

Back
Top Bottom