Brown Thing Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a used tank from a friend of mine. He had the water drained out for a couple days before I picked it up. I decided when I got home to try to save the live sand and rock by mixing up some water and getting everything running. When I woke up in the morning the green coraline algae was starting to come back but I also found these on the substrate and on a few of the shells.

Can anyone tell me what they are and more importantly, are they good or bad because they seem to be multiplying like rabbits! :)

Attachments

• img_2652_213.jpg
    img_2652_213.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 300
Thanks for the links, after reading them I think it's Aiptasia. I touched them with a stick and they recoiled and shrunk into the rock. Not much help on getting rid of it though.

Thanks for the help. Time to squash the infestation!

Aiptasia. Nuke 'em.

[edit: actually... now that I see the photo again, just take the rock out! Unless that's just a little "island" of a larger buried rock!]

Ha ha, I wish it were that simple. The picture only shows the larger ones on the rock, the rest are spread through out the tank in the substrate.

Absolutely aptasia Get joes juice for the ones that you can not remove the rock for , then get a peppermint shrimp to take care of the rest make sure it is a peppermint not a cammel shrimp tho camels will pick at corals

Joe's juice all the way, make sure you turn off all water movement and hit them in the mouth. Peppermint shrimp should help control the smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom