Bubble eye gold fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little ol mae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my fiancé and I got two bubble eye gold fish one black and one gold, we wanted a live tank so we bought some plants and a couple of snails to go in it. The plants had metal wrapping around the bottom that we were told bury, which we did. I think however one got dug up in the night by one of our fish, maybe even the filter pushing them around.. anyway now our black bubble eye has one of his scales kinda flipped up. None of his other ones are so I know it’s not dropsy or anything like that. I’m scared now though because it looks like he may have fungus(?) it’s like white cottony looking stuff, on it I guess because of the plants putting algae into the water. We just did pretty much a 50% water change a few days ago and it seems to have gotten worse, it didn’t have the white ish stuff on it before. I just want to know if there’s anything I can possibly do to help him out. He seems relatively normal, not acting different but I think he got scratched by the metal piece (which are all out now) and I don’t know how I can help him or make sure it doesn’t get infected or anything. Like I said it’s just one of his scales and the white stuff is strictly only on the scale that got damaged not on the rest of him or anything. and he’s not like in pain or anything from what I can tell. I love these lil babies so much and I just wanna help him if I can. Thank you for any advice in advance

So my fiancé and I got two bubble eye gold fish one black and one gold, we wanted a live tank so we bought some plants and a couple of snails to go in it. The plants had metal wrapping around the bottom that we were told bury, which we did. I think however one got dug up in the night by one of our fish, maybe even the filter pushing them around.. anyway now our black bubble eye has one of his scales kinda flipped up. None of his other ones are so I know it’s not dropsy or anything like that. I’m scared now though because it looks like he may have fungus(?) it’s like white cottony looking stuff, on it I guess because of the plants putting algae into the water. We just did pretty much a 50% water change a few days ago and it seems to have gotten worse, it didn’t have the white ish stuff on it before. I just want to know if there’s anything I can possibly do to help him out. He seems relatively normal, not acting different but I think he got scratched by the metal piece (which are all out now) and I don’t know how I can help him or make sure it doesn’t get infected or anything. Like I said it’s just one of his scales and the white stuff is strictly only on the scale that got damaged not on the rest of him or anything. and he’s not like in pain or anything from what I can tell. I love these lil babies so much and I just wanna help him if I can. Thank you for any advice in advance

First off welcome to AA! :welcome: In response to the problem you are having, we will need a little bit more information to figure out what exactly is going on. How big is the tank and how long has it been going? Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle before and have you tested your water recently? I have a feeling that if your tank is new and uncycled, the immature biology of the tank is causing the water quality to suffer. As a result your fish became susceptible to infection and caught a fungus. Without knowing more information this is just a guess. Once you fill us in on a little bit more about the tank we will be able to recommend precise actions to take. (y)

Back
Top Bottom