Bubbler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronmwolford

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I had 2 questions. First off I have a 5gallon artificially planted tank for my betta. I was wondering if adding a bubbler would cause stress on him? I know they typically like slow moving currents.

Also completely off topic, but has anyone had luck with mystery snails as companions for bettas? I had no luck with ghost shrimp... I don't want him to eat the snail so what are some peoples experiences?

Thanks!

To add a snail will all depend on the temper of your betta. You stated that it gobbled up ghost shrimp, so a snail may not be safe. They will munch on the antennas.

Ok thanks! I believe you can return them if it doesn't work out. I may give it a try and watch it closely. I've heard different opinions, so I guess trial and error.

Strickly visual appeal. It could be a low powered one. I know they provide oxygen, but bettas breath from the top anyway so I don't think it would benefit him in that way.

I don't run any bubblers in my tanks, but I do like the bubbling noise they make (although I don't care for the sound of the motor). I have this one LFS in my area that uses compressed air in their tanks; what a sweet sound that is!

Your betta may or may not care. I've had bettas play in the current all day long.

David

I had a betta that played in the bubbles. It truly depends on the fish. You can get quiet air pumps. I've returned pumps before because they were so loud. The ones I use are the Whisper brand. You can also get valves to restrict how much air pumps through.

Amazon.com: whisper air pump

Sometimes if mystery snails do not work nerite snails will. They don't have those long antennae so they aren't really as noticeable to the betta.

Back
Top Bottom