Bubbles! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobnjen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have lots and lots of bubbles.....bubble algae?? Whatever it is, it starts reappearing within hours of cleaning the entire tank. We are forced, at this point, to clean our tank twice a week because of the bubbles and green slimy algae that covers the insides walls of the tank. My dad said he never ever had to clean his tank as much as mine and we don't understand what we're doing wrong. Please help!

Attachments

• 100_2423.jpg
    100_2423.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2432.jpg
    100_2432.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_2424.jpg
    100_2424.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_2436.jpg
    100_2436.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 93
What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? It almost looks like hair algae to me that just hasn't gotten very long yet. Minimizing nitrate and phosphate, along with water movement will normally help in the case of either cyanobacteria or hair algae.

Also, how long are your lights on each day?

Nitrate levels are fine....I've never tested my phosphate levels....I'll have to go get that test kit soon...our lights stay on about 16 hours a day.....we just added our first (weak) powerhead recently

I would cut those lights for sure. 12 hours is max for me anyways. thjat can be helping the algae. If you have no corals you can do a lights out time out for a few days. Could you be overfeeding? Algae also grows from excess nutrients in the water and from using tap water.

Your nitrate levels are probably low because the algae is consuming them. the same can hold tru for the phosphates.

my nitrate level is at 0....how do I know if it's low or not? I thought it had to be high to be wrong...??
I will cut the lights to 12 hours a day....but I do have quite a few corals.....I feed a frozen (thawed) cube to our fish every other day and a seaweed sheet on the off days for the tang......I might try cutting the seaweed to a half a sheet every other day...we have a yellow tang, a squarespot anthias, three chromis, two clowns, and a royal dottyback
anyway.....i am getting a phosphate test today

Let us know. Either way you have something fueling it. Do you dose anything at all? Any coral food or anything at all?

we give chromaplex to my corals......we do a and b.....and also an aquarium algaecide

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom