Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fluval 405

Well ya'll, I just got done cleaning my 405. Took a long time. It was icky. But it's done.

All is peaceful, time to sleep since alarm goes off in 2 hours. Ugg gonna be a long day.

I unplugged my phosphate reactor, no water is flowing. I'm too tired to do that tonite. I'll be unhooking it tomorrow and seeing what's up with that.

So far fish in quarantine are doing good. Don't see any spots or anything. Don't know what else to look for.

Moved my orange polyp back to where he was before I got the encrusted horn. I basically swapped them. I saw a tad bit of orange before I shut off the lights for tonite WOOHOO.

Night All :)

All is well

Orange polyps is doing better. 3 of the heads are open and the other heads are gone. Elegance is doing good. Doesn't open as much as it did but I don't know if he was opening too much or what the normal is yet.

3 little fishie's are still in qt and they appear to being good so far. Funny to watch my dart fish eat, it's the only time he lives up to his name and comes out of his pvc tunnel. Lol

phosphate reactor problem

My hob. Phosphate reactor has a problem. The valve is only supposed to be partially open enough to tumble the group but mine is full open and it's not tumbling at all and I still am having more algae then I think I should.

Idea's anyone?

Also on a branch of my orange polyps it look like I have hair algae growing. It wont brush off and it wont pull off at least with my fingers. What should I do?

I topped off and cleaned my tank last night. Going to test all parameters tonight. Mixing sw now. When I get home tonight I'll check sw and get it to 1.025 and get temp to 77 and tomorrow do my pwc after I get home from work.

When my fish go into my at I want to put another in qt. Any suggestions? I want to have something safe and something I can have 2 or 3 of. Anthias? Basslets? Goby's? See my earlier wish list post and help me decide please.

Thanks ya'll. Sorry so long been working every day and not much time for anything.

Oh and where is good to buy fish and corals online besides liveaquaria.com?

Have you considered chromis for a fish to have multiples of? So far my blue reef chromis are doing very well and they all school and gather together. :)

I have purchased fish from PetSolutions | Pet Supplies for All Pets Since 1950 and was pleased with their service and packaging.

Wish i could help on the reactor, what kind of pump are you using with it?
Did you get the dual reactor or the single?

Few new critters

Found what looks like a Brittle worm and found 3 Spinoid Worms I believe.

Are the Spinoid Worms gonna cause a problem. I'd been trying to figure out what this thing with 2 tentacles is and this was the closest I could get. I can see the body a little bit on one of them (it's in the "cave"), the other 2 I can't get an angle to see the body but I can see the tentacles out that look like the first one.

I think my snails are having babies, cause there are 2 or 3 little buggers in there that I know I didn't but in there :)

My Fishies

Am thinking tomorrow if all goes well with my parameters of acclimating my fishes to the dt if I have time, I don't want to rush the acclimation process.

I don't see anything wrong with them. Looks like they are ok but I'm not sure, so before I move them....Anyone got info on what I should be checking on and looking for? I mean I see no spots, color changes, fast breathing, weird swimming or any of that. Their eyes are still in their heads (which are hard to see on the Kaudern lol) and their skin/fins are all intact too.

Also, does anyone have good links to information on fish behaviors, habits and such. I'm finding so much mixed information on what fish can go in what size tank. I'd like to research it myself instead of just going by what a fish store says. I mean one site says 50 gallon and another says at least 125 or one site says difficult and another says easy.

Plans are being thought out by "my carpenter", he has never built a stand to hold an aquarium before so does anyone have a good site that I can send him to so he can get some ideas? Once he comes up with that then we get to discuss price. (I've already put the thought in his head that I may need a "few" more lol).

Thanks everyone, you'll been great.

Ummm.

Dumb questions....

What is considered low, moderate, high lighting?
What is considered low, moderate, high flow?

T5 4 bulb low, 6 bulb moderate, 8 bulb high

Low flow barely moves anything, medium is like a cool breeze, high is a hurricane...lol... Hope that helps.

then what is a 2bulb? or 12 bulb for that matter? tank placement comes into consideration as well, a 12 bulb system and 40 inches wouldnt be high at hte bottom. Lighting will always be an issue until everyone has a par meter, but at a few hundred bucks... most likely not going to happen. Ive read par values attatched to what is high, moderate and low... but without a meter it does no good. You can rent a meter from some companies-I dont know how much that usually is. although one i saw has like a 500 deposit that was enough to deter me!

Yeah hate to throw more info into it but the height of the tank plays into what is considered low,med,high....or if you truly wanna skip the whole issue, just buy high-end led's. :)

Back
Top Bottom