Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im digging the stand, I wouldn't worry too much about the brace-less front. Just from looking at the upper interior framework its easy to tell that its a very sturdy and well-built stand. You've come way too far to wipe the slate clean now and start over. Corals are a sensitive organism and sometimes random things happen for no rhyme or reason. :) if your procedures and the such are consistent and correct, everything else will sort itself out along the way:)

They are 2 x 4's. I still have the coral in the bowl, put in a power head, salinity is 1.019 in the bowl, hoping too kill whatever it is, that's it for him, now only time will tell. Hopefully I got him out before any others get infected with what ever it is.

I'm going to be using a 20 gal as a sump. I will be making my own. Right now everything is just sitting there, waiting.

No sense starting now, gotta work tonite, been sleeping 12+ hrs a day and it's not enough still.

Decreased the length the lights are on. Algae building up in way too short of time. I've been having to clean the class too much.

Maybe next week after my string of nights is done I will feel like moving the tank, til then, thanks everyone. I like the stand too just wasn't sure of it's sturdiness and since I've got people's okay on it, now I feel better about it.

Til next week or well honestly....whenever, ya'll keep those tanks moving along and beautiful. I'll be poking my head in and around checking things out.

Need good algae cleaners, how many, what kind, and from where?

Can anyone recommend please? Thank you.

Also sumo/fuge or algae scrubber or both? Can algae scrubber be in combo in sump/fuge?

Anyone got ideas?

Buffy said:
Need good algae cleaners, how many, what kind, and from where?

Can anyone recommend please? Thank you.

Also sumo/fuge or algae scrubber or both? Can algae scrubber be in combo in sump/fuge?

Anyone got ideas?

Look into higher magnesium levels, that can help. Otherwise, my Tangs eat the stuff, as well as my dwarf angelfish.
I run a algae scrubber and still am battling a old outbreak of green bubble algae. Scrubbers are good for densely populated tanks and take up a fair amount of room.

Mostly for hair algae.

No tangs for me and I don't want to add any more fish right now.

I am looking at getting more snails.

@ Mr. X it was the encrusted horn, he has no more flesh, it has turned into brown gunky stuff which looked like brown jelly. He is still in qt. The elegance and coco worm still appear
to be doing good. The favia looks to be getting some color back but if he is it is not much. The 3 fish and 2 shrimp look like thet are still doing good also.

Buffy said:
Mostly for hair algae.

No tangs for me and I don't want to add any more fish right now.

I am looking at getting more snails.

@ Mr. X it was the encrusted horn, he has no more flesh, it has turned into brown gunky stuff which looked like brown jelly. He is still in qt. The elegance and coco worm still appear
to be doing good. The favia looks to be getting some color back but if he is it is not much. The 3 fish and 2 shrimp look like thet are still doing good also.

I had the same problem growing corals. But my Toad stool leather coral, mushrooms, long tentacle leather, and Kenya tree really took off. You might try growing on of those next as they are all really hardy corals.

Update

Carpenter picked up the stand on Wednesday to do a couple of tweeks. Would be easier to do them without 75 gallon full tank on it lol.

Now I haven't been on lately, but a few of my buddies here have ordered corals and are ordering more. Where are you guys getting them that they are not 35.00 apiece and up?

What is a decent price for a "frag"? And how "big" should ti be for the priced? Any thoughts on that?

Go to salt critters and make an order. They've got $5 frags. I'm going to order 15 frags for around 100 with shipping for my nano. Can't beat that price anywhere else.

We had our Frag Swap last night at the LFS. Even in our small community we had over 50 frags change hands for very low prices.
Excellent place to learn something you didn't know. I sold LEDs and bought frags. Got a Foxface Rabbit Fish who is very cool.

Our local reef club is having the Christmas party at the Atlanta Aquarium. Largest in the world. The aquarium will be closed and they are having a muti-course meal in front of the main display tank (the one with the whale sharks) They also have an open bar for the entire night and the behind the scenes tour of the aquarium. All for $20.00 if you are a member of the club. Unfortunately, I can't make it that night. :-(

We had our Frag Swap last night at the LFS. Even in our small community we had over 50 frags change hands for very low prices.
Excellent place to learn something you didn't know. I sold LEDs and bought frags. Got a Foxface Rabbit Fish who is very cool.

Back
Top Bottom