"bug" id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coydt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have found these free swimming (not on the glass) in my aquarium the last several mornings. They are about 0.7mm long and move by means of a scissor action of their tails. Any thoughts as to what they are?

Picture1.jpg

I want to say it looks like a larval form of a larger creature. What are the specs on the tank? How long has it been set up? Have you recently introduced rock?

Larval form?

My initial thought was that it was a larval form as well. I didn't see any antennae or obvious appendages, weird. I have not seen them the last couple of days but there were easily 100 or so of them swimming around.

The tank is 55g saltwater with liverock. The rock is about 12 years old (has been through moves and downsizing in the past, but has been maintained live). The current setup is only a year old. As far as critters go, I have 2 "skunK" cleaner shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp w/ goby, assorted snails, six-lined wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a yellow tang. I also have several soft corals.

I would have thought of the cleaner shrimp, but I would have expected the larvae to appear like brine shrimp nauplii or at least to have clearly defined limbs. I would add that my cleaner shrimp did have eggs at least a week prior to my seeing these little critters.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking something was introduced during the last set up. It was two years before my urchin showed up, he only could have come in on the rock I used to set up the tank. Looks like some cephalopod to me, but I could be way off. Most likely your fish will eat all of them before any mature. Very interesting though!

I had not considered it as possible cephalopod (or any mollusk for that matter).

I was quite surprised that when the lights were on the fish were not gorging themselves on these little guys which were visible to the unaided eye. Maybe they were full already.

Thanks again for the feedback!

This has got me really curious now. The fish could be avoiding them because they have stinging cells. If you happen to see any more, it would be really cool if you caught a few and tried raising them and seeing if and how they develop.

Back
Top Bottom