Building a rock formation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to use some rocks that I found outside to build a formation in my tank. I know I can adhere them with tank sealant to keep them from collapsing on my fish. My question is, is there a proper way to clean and make the outdoor rocks "tank safe"? Sorry for all my misc. posts... I have alot of questions :)

Granites, Slates and Quartz Stones you can either boil or scrub really well (no soap). Limestone, Sandstone or other sedimentary I try to stay away from.

If I boil (rock has no pores or fractures) I put the rocks in a pot ... bring it to a boil for 5 minutes... then let it cool off. Generally however ... a good thorough scrubbing is all that's needed for common rocks found in the garden / backyard.

Granites, Slates and Quartz Stones you can either boil or scrub really well (no soap). Limestone, Sandstone or other sedimentary I try to stay away from.

If I boil (rock has no pores or fractures) I put the rocks in a pot ... bring it to a boil for 5 minutes... then let it cool off. Generally however ... a good thorough scrubbing is all that's needed for common rocks found in the garden / backyard.

So as a general rule, hard rocks = good, softer sedimentary rocks = bad?

So as a general rule, hard rocks = good, softer sedimentary rocks = bad?

In a way yes .... Granites, Slates and Quartz stones are chemically and physically tougher rocks than sedimentary rocks in general ...which is why I like them. With those rocks ... a good scrubbing and soaking is usually all you need.

In a way yes .... Granites, Slates and Quartz stones are chemically and physically tougher rocks than sedimentary rocks in general ...which is why I like them. With those rocks ... a good scrubbing and soaking is usually all you need.

Great. Have you used tank sealant to adhere them before?

Yes ... but as luck would have it ... I tried to make it (slate cave) sooooo elaborate ... it ended up breaking apart. So I just redid it so my two slate caves are "free standing" ... they're both only one level tall and the friction keeps the roof from sliding off. None of my fish are large enough to be able to tip one over so it worked in my case.

If your looking to do some elaborate stuff .... silicone is the way to go ... I got mine at Petco.

Hey ccross. I have river rock I boiled, works great. I made several caves by stacking, but found out then hard its best to use aquarium safe caulk from another thread here at AA called caves??? Lots of good ideas. Good luck.

Silicone works great just let it sit for 48 hours...here is slate I used and siliconed together and it does great have fun

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110816_200759.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_200759.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 307
  • ForumRunner_20110816_200816.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_200816.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 439
WOW, that is amazing! it looks awesome! i want one now hahaha

Silicone works great just let it sit for 48 hours...here is slate I used and siliconed together and it does great have fun

That looks great! I'd be paranoid of it breaking the bottom of my tank from the weight, lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom