Building height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! I have a 55g in need of rescaping and I'm not sure how to achieve the look I want. I am still not ready to bite the bullet and do real plants (I'm a plant murder!) but I want a natural type look... I know I know...

How do I achieve height? Check out this photo I found on Pinterest. Please forgive my screen shot! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413862072.123246.jpgSee how one side is built up? Rocks under the sand or just lots of sand?

Can you glue or use fishing line to attach fake plants to rocks/driftwood? There has to be some kind of safe glue since the plants are glued to weights, right?

I know I'm nuts for going to this much trouble for fake plants, but any ideas would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You could use aquarium silicone to glue plants to stuff. There are high end fake plants too.

If you look into Amano tanks I think you'll see more of how that style comes about. I'm not sure it works if you don't have plant roots holding the dirt slopes though?

Aquarium plants might be easier than you think. I kill all house plants but have done well with aquatic plants, till I started fertilizing without enough research.

But I did this with almost all fake plants:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413871520.353250.jpg

I actually miss that arrangement, my all natural one isn't nearly as pretty.

Your photo features all of one type of plant, I think, which is what makes it serene.

You could also look into hard scaping with just rocks and wood, you might find a look you love as much as that photo.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Most levels of height are obtained with lots of substrate, rocks, an also plastic boarding can be used to maintain the shape of a slope

Thanks for the ideas guys! Love your tank photos!
Mattfin: What kind of plastic boarding?

Thanks for the ideas guys! Love your tank photos!
Mattfin: What kind of plastic boarding?

They're known as "egg crate" lighting panels. Do a google image search, and you'll see photos of it being used in tanks.

Hennaartist: that's great! Thanks for the link. This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm now thinking it work to build a platform of rocks (bonus: glue the fake plants to the rock platform!) then add a small layer of sand on top to camouflage the rocks.

I also love the egg crate panels. Seems easier than the rock method and light weight. Might just try both and see which works better! You guys are the best!

If you haven't already, you should check out the DIY form in aquariumadvise. It's under the General Aquarium section. There is a wealth of great ideas, which include info on how to do them.

Back
Top Bottom