Bulkheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
My bulkheads can spin.. When I was putting my plumbing together the one got stuck (I was testing it before glueing it), and when I went to wiggle it out I noticed the whole bulkhead will spin... Does this mean they need replaced? Or are they still sealed (I don't know anything about bulkheads...)

When I bought it from the guy he had them installed, I was just going to pour a little bit of water in and test it... But then I thought I'd just ask if that's normal...

So how exactly do I fix it..? Do I need to replace them?

If you can not tighten with counter turn on both sides then you might have a loose thread or bad gasket. You can either replace the bulk head or add/replace rubber gasket.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399231871.383982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399232029.275362.jpg

It's just the top piece that spins... The grey connections on the top part I can't get off. If I spin it the whole thing spins... But the bottom I can take it off and on just fine.

When tightened fully, there shouldn't be anything loose or moving. I'd consider replacing the bulk heads with new ones. Not worth the risk of a leak later.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can I get bulkheads from any plumbing store? Or are they actual aquarium things?

unfortunately they are usually only at aquarium stores and mail order from what I have found

Okay. I have a pretty good LFS. It's pricey but... I have water sitting in the overflow now, and they haven't leaked at all the last 24 hours...

Looking at those pics the gray is the bulkhead. If it does not turn it will not leak. The white is a pvc pipe which is an extension for the return nozzle. If it is loose it is not good. Small amount of the water will not make it to the tank. If it is your overflow it doesn't really matter. You can even just remove the white pic pipe.

The pipe is what I placed there. I was checking to make sure it fit and when I went to turn the grey thing (which is PVC as well) it wouldn't come off the bulkhead because the whole top part of the actual bulk head turned.

The square part is my bulk head (it has a thing sticking out of it that's covered by the grey piece) that's what turns. The square.

It should spin. Basically it's coming unscrewed as you spin it. Spinning it the other way will tighten it. No need for replacement and definitely no need for gluing. Bulkheads are not meant to be glued. They are meant to seal without glue, so you can remove them if need be...and the need will arise when you break down or move the tank.

I wasn't glueing the bulkhead. Just the plumbing (PVC) into the connection (PVC) and then screwing it onto the bulkhead. I just thought it was weird it could spin. But thanks!

Any farm supply store will have bulkheads! Way Cheeper then LFS

Back
Top Bottom