Butterflys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scelzin1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a general question. Butterfly's are some of the most beautiful fish in my opinion. With that being said. Which are the easiest to take care of and the hardiest? My research and asking my dad says that raccoon butterfly's are the hardiest. Also do they do well in pairs? My father thinks that they would and it would help one acclimate better and eat if it sees the other doing it. Any suggestions ?

Just a general question. Butterfly's are some of the most beautiful fish in my opinion. With that being said. Which are the easiest to take care of and the hardiest? My research and asking my dad says that raccoon butterfly's are the hardiest. Also do they do well in pairs? My father thinks that they would and it would help one acclimate better and eat if it sees the other doing it. Any suggestions ?

To the best of my knowledge no butterfly is hardy. They are pretty much all tough to keep. I wouldn't keep them in pairs as they will fight.

My LFS says that Pyramids are hearty too. I've never had luck with them, so I do not even consider them anymore.

I too really like Butterflies and one day hope to have a tank full of multiple butterfly fish. I have tried a few different butterflies and found that the Raccoon was one of the more difficult. I could never get mine to eat and it just wasted away. My best luck has been with a Orange/Klein Butterfly. I've had it in my 180 gallon for over a year and a half and it is doing great. Even holds its own with my Majestic Angel, Harlequin Tusk and Sailfin Tang. Eats great and is not shy.

Will do. Thank you mr x. In your experience what is the hardiest type of butterfly?

I agree with the heniochus. Auriga butterflyfish could be another easy option

Back
Top Bottom