buyin sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok my local Petsmart has gotten dry bags of live sand recently and are having to sell them for 50% off....so i'm starting my saltwater soo and was wondering if buying this sand would be a good idea? I know it would be alive but i'll be saving half price ya know... so tell me if you think its a good idea or not..so i can act fast..

Actually, it won't really be live. They just put a live tag on that to make some money. Chances are that whatever was originally living in that sand.. is dead now from undergoing shelf life and being in the bag for so long. I say don't get it. Its a waste of money. Just get dry aragonite sand instead. It will become live over time.

I bought that "live" sand and honestly I can say it's just dry aragonite with a bunch of "sea floor" junk tossed in. (It may be from the actual ocean bottom I don't know lol) I only got it because at the LFS it was actually cheaper than the dry aragonite pound/price.

But honestly just go with the dry aragonite, don't believe the words on the bags such as "cycles faster!" or "millions of live bacteria!" or even "NO RINSING REQUIRED!" (THAT one look out for! LOL)

I agree with pp5. If it's cheaper, and you can deal with it being dirty, then i guess it's up to you. But i still think aragonite would be better overall. But yeah, definitely rinse any sand you get, live or not. I found out the hard way what its like not to rinse things off before you put them in your tank. xD

I agree, aragonite is best. Just get what is cheaper and worth it in your opinion. IF it was live, rinsing in fw would cause die off after it was put into the tank. Just a thought.

Hey guys would it hurt anything to go to the ocean say panama city beach florida and get sand for a tank? I am sure there is reasons why we dont but could it actually be done?

So they are selling it at 50% off because what was suppose to be live has dried out. So you are buying regular sand. If it's cheaper then aragonite I would buy it. Why not!!

I'm with TC, if its cheaper than aragonite @ 50% off why not get it, it still has to be cleaned and when in the tank will go thru the cycle anyhow.

I have a question for the group.
If LS dries up and all the inverts and bacteria die out would there be any eggs in there from the inverts to repopulate the sand when it is put back into SW?

I have a question for the group.
If LS dries up and all the inverts and bacteria die out would there be any eggs in there from the inverts to repopulate the sand when it is put back into SW?
Good question, Darned if I know.

That is a good question.

I wouldn't think so. I'd think the eggs would die when the sand dried. But then again, look at brine shrimp packaging.

I'd like to know that actually :)

I mpersonally dont think so but that`s me. I am concerned about any stuff that did die in the process but a good rinsing would take care of that.

Back
Top Bottom