Buying a tank with jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm new here. I got a 10 gallon tank recently and have it overstocked. I have 3 golden molleys 2 rainbow sharks 3 zebra catfish and 2 Plecos. I am about to buy a 30 gallon tank on Craigslist. I know this isn't big enough either but it will help for now until I return to work and can buy a bigger tank. But my question is that the 30 gallon tank this person is selling has a jack Dempsey in it and they seem like they are going to just throw away the fish if I don't take it with the tank. Will this jack Dempsey just kill everything that I have in my ten gallon that I plan on putting in the 30 gallon?

U could always put the jack in the ten gallon till u find it a home or figure out something g to do with it

Yeah I agree with warfish. JDs are very aggressive so just keep him by himself in the ten as a very temporary home. List him on CL or any local clubs near you as free to a good home and he should be claimed in no time.

Yes alone by himself would be best. Make sure to keep on water changes so he can stay healthy till you find a home.

Caleb

You could also wait for the dollar per gallon sale of you don't won't to have to deal with the jack. Petco has them almost every two months give or take an you could buy a brand new 30 for 30$ or go bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it's a good JD with good colouring then I would definitely keep it and get it a tank of its own. They are beautiful fish but not sociable. I've had one with a pleco who managed to hold his own but I wouldn't try and mix a JD with other fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If it's a good JD with good colouring then I would definitely keep it and get it a tank of its own. They are beautiful fish but not sociable. I've had one with a pleco who managed to hold his own but I wouldn't try and mix a JD with other fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep my female with a male convict. If you can sex it then some females will play well others. Makes should be kept with fish like oscars that can match the aggression.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom