Buying fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Questions about the online fish stores:

1. Shipping. I realize they know what they're doing, but do I have to be there to sign for them? In other words, should I arrange a day off work? My concern is they would sit on my porch all day and get too hot or too cold and end up dying on me.
2. Recommended sources? Or are we not allowed to do that here?

I have used Wet Spot in Portland Oregon about 10 times. Very good selection, very reliable. Once the package got delivered to the wrong house and sat outside for a day. Fish were fine. You don't need to be home to sign for them. Costs $50 shipping, so buy fish you can't get at your local fish store.

Wet Spot includes heat bags in the shipment and wraps everything in paper in a styrofoam box. Even on very cold days, the fish arrive fine.

What if it's 22° F outside ?
Most fish that don't survive shipping die in the last hours while waiting for the customer to take the box out of the elements IMO.
Have the box held at [in] the post office where it stay warm and you can pick it up on your lunch break or way home.
Many of my customers opt for this and I always recommend it this time of year and middle summer....(y)

I got some rabbitsnails on AquaBid. My daughter accidentally let the dog out, and our mail carrier threw the box and ran. Now the rabbits are breeding. Those packages can be really well done. Arrive alive guarantees are very good.

Aquariumcoop.com sells fish safety and great people to do business with.

Wet Spot looks interesting. Rather uninspiring website, though.

What about Liveaquaria? There's also "Aquariumfish.net" which has nice photos and selection, but comes across like a badly translated instruction manual from an "as seen on TV" product.

Live aquaria is ok; aquariumfish.net I had bad luck with. Wet Spot is excellent.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Back
Top Bottom