Cabomba question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my Cabomba has been growing very quickly; however, it's not really getting that full Cabomba look. The spots where leaves are growing are spaced pretty far apart.

The bottoms have no leaves which I'm fine with, they're pretty densely planted so not much light penetrates down that far and my bichir decided her new home is in the Cabomba so she's always knocking leaves loose, but the top sections are directly under light.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426367039.642244.jpg

They aren't growing roots all the way along their stems so I feel like that's an indication they're getting enough light and nutrients, but I could be wrong about that. Can anyone shed any insight on what I can do to give them that more full look?

I was thinking about biting the bullet and ordering from BuildMyLed and replacing my finnex planted+ with MC Series - Dutch Planted Tank 6300K - Build My LED, LLC hoping that it may help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So, my Cabomba has been growing very quickly; however, it's not really getting that full Cabomba look. The spots where leaves are growing are spaced pretty far apart.

The bottoms have no leaves which I'm fine with, they're pretty densely planted so not much light penetrates down that far and my bichir decided her new home is in the Cabomba so she's always knocking leaves loose, but the top sections are directly under light.

View attachment 267295

They aren't growing roots all the way along their stems so I feel like that's an indication they're getting enough light and nutrients, but I could be wrong about that. Can anyone shed any insight on what I can do to give them that more full look?

I was thinking about biting the bullet and ordering from BuildMyLed and replacing my finnex planted+ with MC Series - Dutch Planted Tank 6300K - Build My LED, LLC hoping that it may help.

What size is the tank and how strong is the light? Also, are you adding fertilizers to the tank? Cabomba is a stem plant and will grow really quickly with proper lighting and nutrients.

What size is the tank and how strong is the light? Also, are you adding fertilizers to the tank? Cabomba is a stem plant and will grow really quickly with proper lighting and nutrients.

Yeah, it is growing quickly, it's just growing rather spaced apart between the areas the leaves actually are.

Tank is 150 gallons, 72x18x28" Lighting is 2 36" Finnex Planted+ and 2 36" Current USA Satellite+

I've got osmocote root tabs laid throughout the sand substrate. Was dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B. Haven't dosed any in about two weeks due to phosphates going through the roof and then losing my little testing reference card. Injecting pressurized CO2 to 30 ppm.

Yeah, it is growing quickly, it's just growing rather spaced apart between the areas the leaves actually are.

Tank is 150 gallons, 72x18x28" Lighting is 2 36" Finnex Planted+ and 2 Current USA Satellite+

I've got osmocote root tabs laid throughout the sand substrate. Was dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B. Haven't dosed any in about two weeks due to phosphates going through the roof and then losing my little testing reference card. Injecting pressurized CO2 to 30 ppm.

My guess would be your lighting but I am not really familiar with LED's. I am still using t5's. Hopefully someone who has more experience with them will read this in the morning. If it makes you feel better, my Cabomba has like totally stunted. I have no idea why. Everything else in my tank is growing as normal. I am probably going to replace it with something red next week.

Yeah, hopefully. I just feel like if they weren't getting enough lighting then they wouldn't be growing as quickly. I want to order the high light BuildMyLed but I'm still trying to justify spending over $500 on a single light.

Yeah, hopefully. I just feel like if they weren't getting enough lighting then they wouldn't be growing as quickly. I want to order the high light BuildMyLed but I'm still trying to justify spending over $500 on a single light.

I love my t5 lights, I don't think I will go LED until they are out of date haha. LED's are most cost effective in the long term because you don't have to replace the bulbs.
Did you check on ebay for something used or craigslist?

I love my t5 lights, I don't think I will go LED until they are out of date haha. LED's are most cost effective in the long term because you don't have to replace the bulbs.

Did you check on ebay for something used or craigslist?

The craigslist around me doesn't have much as far as lights aside from marine lights and they want just as much as it would be for the BuildMyLed light. I might try trimming the Cabomba this week and replanting some of it. If anything I can just plant a ton of it so it looks more dense.

Generally it is low light that causes a plant to stretch for the light. I am still learning about my own LED's and how to understand them over the cfl/stock lighting.

Back
Top Bottom